'03 Transfer Case STUCK!!!

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this isnt an engine question, but I thought it would be OK to throw it out here anyways. I have a '03 F350 CC long box and the other day the transfer case got stuck in 4 LOW. I have the one with the thing on the dash (the electronic one) to engage or disengage. I have tried everything to unlock it into 2wd as far as rolling ahead and puttin it in neutral and also reverse n then neutral....rocked it back n forth a few times n still nothing. Today I went for a slow drive down the road for a few miles hoping that it might work if it was warmed up a lil (its around 0 deg. F here) but still stuck. Any ideas would be great. BTW its also the auto tranny (4 spd I think) with the 6.0L n around 115 000 miles...

dakotajeep

Patrolling
Reaction score
I would post this in another section to get more views.

Did you check all the connections to ensure they were tight? Maybe they had water in them and the cold pushed them apart....

FYI, its a 5 speed transmission.

Thad

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure what other section to put this in....is there one on here for driveline problems? I have tried the neutral with foot on brake thing n nothing works. Where could I check connections? I guess start at the transfer case itself n work up from there...

bismic1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The service manual discusses electronics under the hood that controls the engagement of the transfer case (motor on the side of the transfer case). Check the two relays by the drivers side battery . There in a small box 1.5"x3". They are for the shift motor. You can spray some contact cleaner in the plugs to get any gunk or oxidation out.

Verify power to the 4x4 switch and or check for a blown fuse or unplugged connector. If all that checks out go to the tcase motor and verify power to it and that it is infact switching the tcase. I have heard they motors on the tcase are fairly reliable so it may very well be either a pulled wire or loose connection .

Even though the transfer case isn't engaging, check to make sure your hubs are. When you selected 4X4, wait about 30 seconds and then check the front axle. Reach inside behind the wheel and try to spin the axle. If you can't, you've engaged your hub. If it spins freely, then you also have a vacuum leak or possible a solenoid problem.

Last edited:

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...great info n greatly appreciated. I do know that the hubs are still working cause when I took it out for a spin last n when I turned hard I could feel the front end skipping, or however the way to describe that is...they were definatly locked. I will check those relays and try the other things mentioned....I might just get under it first and put a test light right at the plug on the t-case n work back from there...thank you...

cbarm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK...finally got at it today. I put a test light to the switch, power there. Checked the 2 relay sockets, power there. Checked both plugs on the t-case motor n NO power there. If one of the relays was burnt out, could that be the problem? I found 2 fuses in the fuse box that relate to 4x4 and they are both good also. Any help would be much appreciated...