Dip stick question

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What should the diameter of my dipstick tube be? I wen to install it and ran into a problem. Hole in block looks to be 5/16". Ridges on the tube look to be 7/16". Tube itself is 3/8".

You must be registered for see images attach

No way that's going in the hole don't care how I lube it up. The more I think about it I'm not totally certain it was actually in the hole when took the bracket off.

Help. Can someone shed some light here?

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will the tube go in without the o-ring? I couldn't find an o-ring that would fit around the tube, and still let the tube go in. So I put a little rtv in the groove and it slid right in.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a chance. It's got to be the wrong damn tube. It's not going to squeeze a full 1/8.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is an adapter that goes into the block and accepts the dipstick tube w/ o-ring.
i hope you pulled it out of the other block!!!
pic coming via text.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i usually RTV around the tube after stuffing the tube into the hole. never had an issue with the size dia.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm missing that adapter. With IDIoit's permission I'll post the picture he sent me. I must have thought it was part of the block. -cuss

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No permissions needed.
Was just easier to send that way
My phone and computer are fighting lol
Here it is!
ill get the dimensions soon as my coffee is done

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the 10* taper is an estimate, its about ..050-.100 deep to allow the o-ring to slide in.
there is a taper at the transition inbetween the major and minor OD, but its not crucial.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As already posted and pictured. You NEED the adapter. Uhaul was selling them on ebay some time back too. I wish now I had purchased a few. I'm sure International Navistar will have them but not sure if they are in stock. Our idi blocks have 2 locations for the dip stick tube. they are both on the same side but the front one is close to the lift pump area. Thats where the idi engines in the big trucks is found. Might check if you have a adapter there in your block. Might think about finding a Uhaul truck in a wrecking yard or for that matter any idi engine. Not really sure the 6.9 blocks have the same fitting as what you need?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, the 6.9 has the same fitting. on light duty trucks, the front hole usually has a ball bearing pressed/epoxied in.
most likely easier to machine it

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
85 and earlier blocks did not use an adapter, the tube got stuck into the block with no o-ring. Not sure when the actual upgrade was made, but the early dipstick tube was also without the bracket to bolt it onto the valve cover.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
good to know, i was basing my assumption off of my 87 6.9 i used to have.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is there an oring on the bottom part? Do you just slide it on and squeeze it down?