7" flip out radio

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Got myself a nice 7" flip out deck for xmas. GOt it all wired and installed but the deck doesnt stick out enough and the screen hits the ac controls. Has anyone ever put one in an 89 style dash? When i purchased the truck it already had this metal install kit but it didnt look like it went to the truck. I went looking for a kit that stuck out more but all i can find is the kits with the factory knobs on both sides. Any ides or am i going to have to get creative thanks

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics please, and what is a 7" flip out deck?

Edit: Oh hell a radio. With a screen?

DragRag

Reaction score
I used to have one, a pioneer. They are really cool, but you need to have the clearances to use them. I kind of doubt it will work on the 87 through 91 dashes, unless you get one that opens down, and I think most open upwards.

90idi4x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had an eclipse one that if u held the screen open button it would move the bottom of the screen out farther and another button controlled the tilt of the screen. I used it in my 87 fullsize bronco. My Alpine screen I used in my chevron

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
Ok i have seen the plastic dash piece in a vehicle and it stuck out like an inch. I dont remember where i saw it though. What are you guys using for a single din install

DragRag

Reaction score
I think you are right, there is an extender kit that Pushes the head unit out like an inch or so. I have never had to buy one though, so I don't know the source on them. It may work for the 87 through 91 trucks.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My creative solution to this problem seeing as I was thinking of a similar unit, was to invert the deck with the heater controls some how. Not sure how but that was what I was planning so the deck would be on the top.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
I thought about that as well. But looking at it i think it will still hit the top of the bezzle as it slants out. Ill call some audio places in the a.m. and see if i can get an extended adapter plate.