Dash mods

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lately, I've had some time to do work on the F250. I've now got the auxiliary gauge pod installed:

You must be registered for see images

The pod started life as a pod for an '03-'04 Dodge Ram. After several hours of cutting, sanding and fitting, I managed to get it to look pretty good. I was tempted to buy a $20 can of that perfectly matched interior paint, but ended up buying a $4 can of paint from Fred Meyer that's pretty close. I think it looks alright. (I've got the lights hooked up to the gauges but haven't installed the turbo, so the pyro and boost gauges aren't hooked up yet. I'll hook up the tranny temp gauge as soon as I get ahold of a 1/8" NPT fitting I can weld to the tranny cover.)

After that, I spent some time reconfiguring the radio and HVAC controls:

It's nice to have the radio up top, but I'm not real happy with the way the HVAC controls came out. They stick out too far to look normal. I'm still trying to figure out how I can recess them and keep the factory mounting the same.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
more info on the hvac/radio swap, been wanting to do it with mine... i saw another post up here but just getting ideass together

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
more info on the hvac/radio swap, been wanting to do it with mine... i saw another post up here but just getting ideass together

The reason I did this mod was because I read about someone doing it on here. Taking everything apart and rerouting the wires and cables wasn't a big deal, but getting the HVAC controls to fit in where the radio was was a royal PITA. I wouldn't recommend it unless you've got several free hours to do some plastic trimming and fitting. Even then, I don't think my dash looks all that great. It is nice to have the radio up top, though. (This applies to the bricknose Fords '87-'91. It may be easier to do on the '83-'86 and '92-'94 bodies, I'm not sure.)

What you've gotta do to remove the radio is remove the trim ring, pull the screws that hold the radio in, unclip the wiring harness and antenna from the back of the radio and that's it. To remove the HVAC controls is slightly more complicated: remove the mechanical cable, the two electrical connectors and the slider that actuates the heater controls. Once you've done that, it's just a matter of rerouting the wiring for the radio up and all of the stuff for the HVAC controls down. Up to this point it's all fairly straighforward. Mounting the radio really wasn't that big of a deal either, although I did have to redrill the dash for some new mounting screws.

Mounting the HVAC controls are why I don't recommend this mod: once you get the control box mounted to the dash it sticks out too far to get the trim ring back on. I ended up having make the hole in the trim ring bigger and shaving the HVAC control box down to get it to fit. This required making some minor modifcations in the garage with the bandsaw and sander and taking it back into the truck to test-fit. (The reason you see the pancake screws on the face of the HVAC controls is because I did slightly too much plastic shaving and the black face wasn't adhering to the white backplate any more.) Once I finally got it modified to the point where the trim ring would fit back on, I just left it because I'd spent so much time on it. I'll probably do some more work on it later to get it to look better, but for the time being, I'm sick of it.

One more thing: it's hard to tell because of the poor picture quality, but I've got a couple of pieces of black electrical tape on either side of the radio to cover up the open space. Yet one more thing I've got to correct some time down the road.

Last edited:

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
gotcha, the fitment part was where i was most curious. Looks like I'll have to get tired of fixing other junk first before attempting it. doesnt sound hard, just a PITA

thanks for the info ;Sweet

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
that should be cable. on the 92+s the radio is on the top...something i LOVE. i think a fiberglass mold of the trim bezel can be made pretty easy and can be set up so everything fits correctly. actually id like to swap in the 92+ knobs over the sliders...just cuz im used to seeing them.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what about the slide temp control? I have always wonder if that is cable actuated or what?

Yep, cable actuated.

I stopped by one of the local junkyards yesterday and found a spare uncut trim piece for $5. ;Sweet

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
..(This applies to the bricknose Fords '87-'91. It may be easier to do on the '83-'86 ...

Brandon,

The Slantnose 80-86 have the radio up top from the factory. The section of the dash the radio and HVAC Controls are located is slanted toward the drivers seat also.

I understand about the Bricknose ergonomics. When I have driven E-2, it feels like I have to crawl into the passenger seat to adjust the radio or HVAC. Thee ergonomics in the Slantnose and the Superduties is much better.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brandon,

The Slantnose 80-86 have the radio up top from the factory.

Well, lucky for anyone owning one of those trucks. ;Sweet

The dash arrangement in the bricknose trucks leaves something to be desired. :puke:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After that, I spent some time reconfiguring the radio and HVAC controls:

It's nice to have the radio up top, but I'm not real happy with the way the HVAC controls came out. They stick out too far to look normal. I'm still trying to figure out how I can recess them and keep the factory mounting the same.

Guage pod looks real good, nice work fitting a Dodge piece into a Ford.

As for the stereo....It looks good up on top and I have the same idea for my stereo in my Bronco, move the controls down and stereo up.

I have a 93 or so heater control with the round dials I am going to try to get to work in place of my stock heater controls like you have done. I think it may be a better fit like your wanting and a need Mod too!

Keep up the good work. Let us know how you make those controls fit better too...take lots of pictures.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
are the newer knob operated controls operated the same as the older ones shown above as far as hook up behind the dash?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are the newer knob operated controls operated the same as the older ones shown above as far as hook up behind the dash?

ABSOLUTELY NOT...they are different and I happened to get the vacuum lines and wire harness connector to see if this can be done...but won't be doing that till I drop an engine in HOPEFULLY soon...goodness I miss my truck.

BrandonMag

Dana 50 rebuilder
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ABSOLUTELY NOT...they are different and I happened to get the vacuum lines and wire harness connector to see if this can be done...but won't be doing that till I drop an engine in HOPEFULLY soon...goodness I miss my truck.

Oy, too much work for me.

BTW, nice avatar. ;Sweet