ball joints

lurker123

Reaction score
I was wondering who has experience with Moog ball joints. I have some that were installed by a previous owner and i need to replace them. Actually, the PO replaced the uppers but not the lowers. The lowers need to be done but the uppers are Moog of unknown age. I was wondering if these ball joints are the serrated type or the smooth style OE replacement. I want to just replace all 4 joints for peace of mind but if the Moog has the serrations I am gonna assume i need a new knuckle. Can you buy the knuckles for a reasonable price? And from where?

Trying my best

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did this job on my F250 powerstroke. It went OK, I can't remember if they were smooth or ridged. I ended up taking the knuckle to my buddies shop to press the new joints in. Around here Moog is the preferred name in ball joints. I don't see any reason why you need new knuckles, but I have only done this job once and by no means am I a master mechanic, I am barley a shade tree guy.

Good luck

Simp5782

SNOW TACKLER!
Reaction score
you can buy used knuckles at Car-part.com. Moog is decent parts but your going to pay for it. It also depends on what your doing with the rig as well. daily driving yeah they are fine even the masterpro from oreilly is ok for that.

ford390gashog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Moog has the basic line and then the upgraded line is the problem solver line. Both are over priced for what you get. Hell when I did my whole front end with world suspension parts all the linkages and ball joints cost me about $140.00 I was tight on cash at the time. So far so good 40k later but having been able to see and install XRF joints on my 2006 F-250 they are awesome!! $$$ but worth it!

Ebay parts http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUSPENSION-...l:F-250|Year:1987&vxp=mtr&hash=item25624158a5

OR!!!!!

XRF http://www.xrfchassis.com/

rhkcommander

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there was a company that makes some better than moog, i forgot them manufacturer but they've got a blue boot on them... I had to do a ton of searching. I may have it in my notes still. Federal mogul owns moog...

I got the ones i was talking about at napa :dunno

fuelscrew

Diesel Addict
Reaction score
I install lots of Moog, trw which is made by Moog, I have never had any comebacks using them. I know there are better ones out there but Moog is usually available at your local parts stores versus waiting for a package.

lurker123

Reaction score
XRF is the brand. And here is the place to get them http://www.thetireclub.com/content.wws?fname=FORD_TRUCK_KITS.HTML

And NO NEED for a new knuckle, even w the serations

Im would like to go with the XRF parts or OEM/Spicer. I dont like Moog parts and the only ones ive seen are the "Problem solver" that oversize the opening the ball joint presses into. They do this because when you replace a ball joint your are supposed to mic the hole and make sure the ID is in spec. If it isn't the dealer would replace the knuckle or you can use the Moog joint. What i dont have experience with is if you can replace a "problem solver" serated ball joint with another joint. Certainly, you cant put a OEM style ball joint in the knuckle, which is my first choice to use.

Has anyone ever replaced a "problem solver" Moog joint with another of the same serrated type?
Does anyone know if the XRF joint have serrations on the mating surface?

Last edited:

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt waste my time replacing them with anything But MOOG.

Thats just me I use what I have learned to trust. Might be other manurfacturers out there as good as moog. But I havent found em yet.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Moog quality has suffered over the years.

Use either Spicer, or XRF for best results

Check Spicer's/XRF's web sites out. You'll see the difference in Quality, over Moog.

Just one Man's opinion:

"Personally, I don't even consider MOOG anymore. I've heard of XRF parts and plan on using either them or Spicer next time I need suspension parts. I learned about XRF several years ago, and I believe they even make replacement ball-joints for the failure prone factory ball-joints on military and civilian Humvee/Hummer H1s. From what I've gathered, the XRF parts are the 'real deal.' XRF has a website and it's www.xrfautoparts.com
One of the most important things I look at when buying ball-joints and tie-rods is the grease boot. I look for joints with attached seals. From what I've researched, the only companies which actually have good seals are Ford, Spicer's premium stuff, and XRF. Don't forget that most aftermarket companies (MOOG) still sell ball-joints with the type of seals which Ford abandoned and even had a TSB about. The seals led to accelerated ball-joint wear and failure, due to their inability to keep the joint protected."

Raybestos Professional Grade stuff is pretty good too. http://www.raybestoschassis.com/wps...ebsites.content/products/general/ball+joints/

Last edited:

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
Whatever You saw at Spicer, it must be worse over at Moog. Cause Their stuff is still waaay better than what Moog sells these days.