ball joints

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Moog quality has suffered over the years.

Use either Spicer, or XRF for best results

Check Spicer's/XRF's web sites out. You'll see the difference in Quality, over Moog.

Just one Man's opinion:

"Personally, I don't even consider MOOG anymore. I've heard of XRF parts and plan on using either them or Spicer next time I need suspension parts. I learned about XRF several years ago, and I believe they even make replacement ball-joints for the failure prone factory ball-joints on military and civilian Humvee/Hummer H1s. From what I've gathered, the XRF parts are the 'real deal.' XRF has a website and it's www.xrfautoparts.com
One of the most important things I look at when buying ball-joints and tie-rods is the grease boot. I look for joints with attached seals. From what I've researched, the only companies which actually have good seals are Ford, Spicer's premium stuff, and XRF. Don't forget that most aftermarket companies (MOOG) still sell ball-joints with the type of seals which Ford abandoned and even had a TSB about. The seals led to accelerated ball-joint wear and failure, due to their inability to keep the joint protected."

Raybestos Professional Grade stuff is pretty good too. http://www.raybestoschassis.com/wps...ebsites.content/products/general/ball+joints/

Didn't we have a similar thread a few weeks before?

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever You saw at Spicer, it must be worse over at Moog. Cause Their stuff is still waaay better than what Moog sells these days.

Thats your opinion brother. Not arguing, just had great luck with durability from MOOG. Always have. I have used others but always go back to MOOG when the others fail.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer is the best and any off roader or driveline shop would back me up on that. A spicer u-joint will outlast and out perform any aftermarket one out there and their driveline components are no different.

The best part is, is that they are often right in line pricewise as any other maufacturer out there.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spicer is the best and any off roader or driveline shop would back me up on that. A spicer u-joint will outlast and out perform any aftermarket one out there and their driveline components are no different.

No they wont, The local 4x4 shop with 2 competition crawlers uses only MOOG. Its preference. Nothing more. Some people like Moog, Some people like Spicer. Go with what you like, but you cant tell me they make junk, I have used them too many times when others failed.

I am not saying spicer makes junk, Just I preferr MOOG from past experience. Opinions may very.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No they wont, The local 4x4 shop with 2 competition crawlers uses only MOOG. Its preference. Nothing more. Some people like Moog, Some people like Spicer. Go with what you like, but you cant tell me they make junk, I have used them too many times when others failed.

I am not saying spicer makes junk, Just I preferr MOOG from past experience. Opinions may very.

I dont think moog even makes u-joints, Ive never ever seen one anyway, which is what im referring too:dunno

Presision does(federal mogul) and they are junk. Dont even compare to the quality of a spicer joint. Spicer makes the best joint out there(not counting the CTM type joints) PERIOD. Dont believe me, read the countless posts over on pirate about it. Their suspension components are of the same quality.

And almost every driveline shop uses spicer stuff exclusively.

Moog is okay for aftermarket supply, but doesnt compare to OEM, most of which is Spicer.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I dont think moog even makes u-joints, Ive never ever seen one anyway, which is what im referring too:dunno

Presision does(federal mogul) and they are junk. Dont even compare to the quality of a spicer joint. Spicer makes the best joint out there(not counting the CTM type joints) PERIOD. Dont believe me, read the countless posts over on pirate about it. Their suspension components are of the same quality.

And almost every driveline shop uses spicer stuff exclusively.

Moog is okay for aftermarket supply, but doesnt compare to OEM, most of which is Spicer.

Correct. I have been using MOOG parts for the past 20 years. Their quality has been slowly declining to be competive. I wouldn't put MOOOG ball joints in if you GAVE them to me. I would rather use some POS from advanced and save my money, then OVERPAY for MOOG

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i replaced the crappy broncograveyard ball joints in my 93 F-150 (has a 79 dana 44 straight axle swpped in) with some moogs. price wasnt to bad (paid like $140 for 4) and they are the problem solver line. Seems to be good so far. Wish i seen this before i changed em though.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i replaced the crappy broncograveyard ball joints in my 93 F-150 (has a 79 dana 44 straight axle swpped in) with some moogs. price wasnt to bad (paid like $140 for 4) and they are the problem solver line. Seems to be good so far. Wish i seen this before i changed em though.

Stop sweating, Youll be fine. On my old crawler I had 40 inch tires and I abused it heavily off road and rock crawlin. When I built the front end I used MOOG ball joints exclusivly. Nover had a ball joint on it fail. Or any of my other rigs.

As i said before its personal preference with no proof either way. I am sure you will find others that say some other brand is better and MOOG and SPICER suck. Its just an opinion. But I can tell you not to worry, You used a MOOG part, your fine.

Cruise around on the heavy 4X4 Crawling sites and youll see Most of the larger ones tend to prefer MOOG .

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No. This is how you find out what you want to know. Opinions from a bunch of different people. And then YOU decide what you want to do.

Exactly, Dont believe something just because "someone told you" and you dont have to trust opinions on just one site wither, they tend to get skewed over time.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
Exactly, Dont believe something just because "someone told you" and you dont have to trust opinions on just one site wither, they tend to get skewed over time.

Just FYI if you buy Moog, stay with the problem solver "premium" line.
The idiots sent me some ball joints upper and lower and inner and outer tie rods for a Chevy van 3500. Corey had called me to ask me a question about his new to him Crown Vic when i went off on a tangent because of this truck.

First off their problem solver tie rods for the GM front end are great, far stronger than OEM. Their ball joints were not problem solver but the cheaper line, they had a black body with clear boots. These are CHINESE. The quality wasn't there. One ball joint didn't have the grease fitting hole threaded, none of the new nuts were the same size! I had already pressed everything in and i had just installed new front coil springs (for some reason the chevy vans always sag the front springs!) so i left the ball joints in. We'll see how long they last but i was not happy with the lack of consistency between them.

I usually use Spicer or raybestos professional (which are the same) and will use Moog blue boots if the price is inline. I don't have time to order ball joints online and i certainly can't stock them.

Remember opinions are like ********. Everyone has one. Everyone will say this joint is the best and better than the rest. Fact of the matter is if you buy a QUALITY part in the beginning, you'll be just fine. Your problem solver moogs are A-OK. Infact they were in my ball joint Dana 60 in my 89 F250 and i drove the wheels off the truck. Just keep them greased regularly with a grease like Mobil 1 synthetic red.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotcha. i am sure there are cheaper alternatives. Dont know if they are any better or worse, i can only speak from my experience. I pay for MOOG to get a product I am comfortable with.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
That is one disadvantage to the XRFs. you have to have them shipped to you. Hopefully stores will start stocking them

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online