ball joints

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just FYI if you buy Moog, stay with the problem solver "premium" line.
The idiots sent me some ball joints upper and lower and inner and outer tie rods for a Chevy van 3500. Corey had called me to ask me a question about his new to him Crown Vic when i went off on a tangent because of this truck.

First off their problem solver tie rods for the GM front end are great, far stronger than OEM. Their ball joints were not problem solver but the cheaper line, they had a black body with clear boots. These are CHINESE. The quality wasn't there. One ball joint didn't have the grease fitting hole threaded, none of the new nuts were the same size! I had already pressed everything in and i had just installed new front coil springs (for some reason the chevy vans always sag the front springs!) so i left the ball joints in. We'll see how long they last but i was not happy with the lack of consistency between them.

I usually use Spicer or raybestos professional (which are the same) and will use Moog blue boots if the price is inline. I don't have time to order ball joints online and i certainly can't stock them.

Remember opinions are like ********. Everyone has one. Everyone will say this joint is the best and better than the rest. Fact of the matter is if you buy a QUALITY part in the beginning, you'll be just fine. Your problem solver moogs are A-OK. Infact they were in my ball joint Dana 60 in my 89 F250 and i drove the wheels off the truck. Just keep them greased regularly with a grease like Mobil 1 synthetic red.

ahhh.finally an explanation as to what is going on.
a lot of people fail to post the details.
its becoming wide spread (by wide spread,i still mean .5% of people lol) "MOOG is declining" "MOOG now made in China" "MOOG now junk".
now it makes sense.they are making two lines to stay competitive.
i went with the good ones,regardless of the .5% (thats being very fair with all the thread on different sites spending way too much time deciding lmao) who said they were no longer that good.
made in USA problem solver line.

bike-maker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through the same research process before I changed my ball joints out about a year ago. Through this site as well as many others, Moog seemed to be the brand of choice. If you start looking further into the Dodge forums, they swear by the XRF joints, and are unhappy with the Moog stuff. I found threads that trashed every single brand out there EXCEPT for XRF. So that's what I went with. Only place to get them is from the tire club link Brad posted earlier.

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
I have yet to find 2 options of moog. Everything I find is problem solver, and I am not impressed

you may not have the option where you are but down here with the majority of cheap ******** in south florida...

The Moog problem solvers are not a terrible ball joint. They're just expensive compared to Spicer and XRF.

Remember most people don't want to wait to order ball joints. Also i'd use Moog PS line before i used TRW. Alot of their stuff for the Ford chassis is not greaseable.

Spicer/Raybestos professional > Moog problem solver mostly due to the significant price difference.

Also FYI, Raybestos and spicer sell a "value" line of suspension parts which are reboxed QSP stuff which i would NEVER use if i didn't have a choice.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.dieselram.com/showthread.php?t=200046

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/xrf-ball-joint-problems-1221126/

30 second search. None of them are perfect
There are many out there for MOOG as well and Spicer too.
Stay with what you trust whatever brand you choose.

i have to say,i experienced the complete opposite once i tossed my new MOOGS under 'er,than the guys results with his xrf.
they took my wondering issues right way completely,and iv got nice quick,tight responsive handling again.i just associated this will new joints in general at the time though as mine where pretty bad after plowing with the original '93's last year.:D

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have to say,i experienced the complete opposite once i tossed my new MOOGS under 'er,than the guys results with his xrf.
they took my wondering issues right way completely,and iv got nice quick,tight responsive handling again.i just associated this will new joints in general at the time though as mine where pretty bad after plowing with the original '93's last year.:D

My point was to prove there is NO MANUFACTURER that have never had a compleint abotu the product as far as the top performers are concerned. they all fail eventually.None are hands down better then the other unless you order auto zone cheapos. its just that simple. When I ordered parts for my front end I stick with MOOG becasue its what I LIKE. , But people are here saying MOOG makes junk, I have had great luck with thier products and have nothing but good things to say about them. I havent ran the XFR but i have heard good and bads about them, but have no first hand experience with them.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if ti was working good them a sloppy part was installed, Well there you have it. Its not rocket science.

bashing a manufacturer becasue you dont like them is fine. but to say they are all bad is like saying I had one bad IDI so they are all junk. C'mon man this isnt this hard to figure out. The Jeep i get, the dodge sounds like a sloppy part.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the case in many complaints registered against a product. The longer the product is on the market the better the chances are of failure, wether it is installed correctly or not.

My point is not to bash the product, just prove none are perfect. You will always be able to find someone to tell you the product you think is the best is somehow the worst product made to them.