C6 experts..need some opinions

virgil

Reaction score
Ok guys, need to do a full overhaul to my c-6 transmission and about the only thing i have decided on is a oregon transmission low stall converter. or maybe there is a better converter? Looking for a good source for decent parts. the only transmissions i have ever modified are in a dodge so this is all new to me. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks matt

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
some cheap small parts can make a big improvement like the F servo apply lever that goes inside the unit, it is the lever that apply the band.
Good for a firm 2nd gear shift.
The servo can be changed to the R servo wich some kits have different springs for shift quality, but that is over $100 and nobnody want to spend that kinda money.
Like spending $600 for a billet low stall conv, they are out there but dont want to spend the money.
At least the C-6 dont need much money to do the job, very sturdy unit OEM ;Sweet

If I added up what it cost to do my C-6 it would be more than I can buy a crew cab dually for. that is parts alone! I built the unit myself so I saved big time there. :rotflmao

But my unit works flawless under any type of service I need from it.

Javier

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...&Product_Code=ORE-36-1-20&Category_Code=C6CON

$115 HD Low stall C6 T/C with the large bearing size. This is probably the one I'm going with in my Crew Cab project. I've owned a C6-equipped truck with a BD Converter for about a week, and it's something fierce to drive! Almost like being in a manual truck. That's the first HD torque converter I've ever owned/driven, and I'm sold for life now. I think I'm going with Oregon Performance Transmission's HD Low Stall unit because as Javier said, I'm not so sure I want to fork out a ton of dough for another BD unit.

Brianedwardss

Reaction score
http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...=PROD&Store_Code=OPTI&Product_Code=NTP-KC6GRP

You can also get a 'gear reduction' gear set for a C6 with a 10% lower first and 5% lower second gear, $216. This is another nice option for C6 owners. I think this combined with a HD low-stall converter would be sweet.

Here's the text off the site:

"Low gear planetary kit for the Ford C-6 transmission. This set will work for all years. This kit will lower your 1st gear ratio to 2.71 from your stock 2.46. Second gear will be lowered to 1.53 from 1.46. The kit comes with a new steel, 6 pinion planetary, hub, Torrington bearing, ring gear, sun gear, and sun shell. This kit will increase your acceleration without changing your rear-end gears."

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.oregonperformancetransmi...=PROD&Store_Code=OPTI&Product_Code=NTP-KC6GRP

You can also get a 'gear reduction' gear set for a C6 with a 10% lower first and 5% lower second gear, $216. This is another nice option for C6 owners. I think this combined with a HD low-stall converter would be sweet.

Here's the text off the site:

"Low gear planetary kit for the Ford C-6 transmission. This set will work for all years. This kit will lower your 1st gear ratio to 2.71 from your stock 2.46. Second gear will be lowered to 1.53 from 1.46. The kit comes with a new steel, 6 pinion planetary, hub, Torrington bearing, ring gear, sun gear, and sun shell. This kit will increase your acceleration without changing your rear-end gears."

That's probably the E4OD gear set swap correct?

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's probably the E4OD gear set swap correct?

4 pinion early low gear and 6 pinion late low gear are from the E40D.
Thrust washers are the early kits, now they come torrington roller bearing
and last I checked they are not cheap.

Javier

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The following are the links and shopping list of parts I used on my build in 2007.

In addition I mounted the largest external trans cooler I could find at a reasonable price. It's rated @ 30,000gvw cooler.
I did alot of research and found the following parts were the best bang for the buck and longevity for the tranny. If your doing it yourself just take your time and save your old parts(I used an old steel as a shim in one of the drums). Do one step at a time ex:disassembly one night laying out all the parts in order as they are removed, make a parts list, clean for reassembly, rebuild valve body next night, ect..
A manual is a must (you'll see it on my list). You may want a local shop to compress the spring in the one drum, it takes a tool to do it and without the tool you take a chance of ruining a new drum. Don't forget to soak your clutch discs for 1/2 hour before assembly.

The second link is for the drums incase yours are wiped like mine were. Plus using these drums give you another clutch disc.

https://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : 26756 FMX, C6, AOD transmission pump gears
$10.09 Shipped
3 of : 26761 FORD Torque converter nut (N60)
$0.78 Shipped
1 of : 26876 Ford C6 transmission screen filter 1977-on.
$1.84 Shipped
1 of : 26991 Ford C6 transmission band adjusting nut.
$1.15 Shipped

Items Ordered: Price: Status:
1 of : 26003KHP Ford C6 Performance master rebuild kit 1978-on w/Alto red cluthes & new steels
$132.61 Shipped
1 of : 26601 Ford C6 Bushing kit 1966-on
$13.43 Shipped
1 of : 26670 Ford C6 transmission, metal thrust washer kit
$19.76 Shipped
1 of : 26931 C6 Shift kit® Gas and Diesel 1967-on.
$15.98 Shipped
1 of : 26997HP FORD C6 High performance Kevlar® lined band.
$16.56 Shipped
1 of : 26TM00 Ford C6 transmission, ATSG repair manual.
$15.28 Shipped
1 of : 36916E C6 E ratio servo apply lever.
$16.49 Shipped
1 of : 36946-02K FORD C6 diesel, reverse boost valve & sleeve (With O-rings).
$22.74 Shipped
1 of : K36528R Ford C6, R-Code servo piston kit with seals 1968 1/2-on
$104.93 Shipped

I also get parts from here: http://www.transmissioncenter.net/C4_C6.htm

swuchase1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info.i was wondering with that reduction gear set how is 3 or the drive gear. is there any change to that? thanks again

77f250diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I put the wide ratio set in mine when I rebuilt the C6 and if I was to do it again I wouldn't bother.

If your hauling really heavy loads I could see it being worth it.

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Ok, Precision, low-stall torque converter, R Servo (springs) assembly, forward valve body kit from Transgo, steel planetaries and sun gear.. .....I asked Precision how much slip (percentage wise) that torque converter does slip....he seemed to think about 5%. He was not very convincing...but hey; had to make a decision an the Precison is good. (so goes the word on the street at least).

Last edited: