Block heater leak

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Engine rebuild and in as some of you know. I have to pull the trans out to speedi sleeve the rear main. While I am under there, I find there is coolant and leaking. ARGGGGGGHHHHHHH...so I get to looking and find the block heater is leaking. Not that big of a deal since it is leaking from the outside/seal.

When I tightened it, it started to leak a bit more. So, can I take it out and reinstall it with a new o-ring or do I need to get a new one? It is not leaking from the bolt, but is it going to when I put it back in? Is there another o-ring there? Does anyone have a pic of what it looks like on the back side? Will I destroy it pulling it out?

SWS

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you installed it did you use something like scotchbrite to clean the machined surfaces in the hole.... Probably a good idea to buy another heater... That way you wont be having another issue with what you have now... No telling why its leaking till you remove it... Having a spare part is good insurance too... Or you could sell it here...

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
When you installed it did you use something like scotchbrite to clean the machined surfaces in the hole.... Probably a good idea to buy another heater... That way you wont be having another issue with what you have now... No telling why its leaking till you remove it... Having a spare part is good insurance too... Or you could sell it here...

By the way I will send you the cord when I have a mode of transportation sorry it's taking so long

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SWS, you really better fix that problem....I had my block heater walk out on me about 3 weeks ago, I was really blessed that it happened in town on a cold day, but still it was a major inconvenience and there was no warning before it let go. My replacement was a freeze plug not another block heater. Now I know where you live it gets a lot colder so you may want one, and of course there are other aftermarket heaters that do not install in a freeze plug hole. After seeing how the heater attaches and how it broke, at the little "feet" that anchor it in the block I'm not a big fan. When funds permit, I'll probably be buying one that installs in the heater hoses or magnetically attaches to the block. It would be a really sad way to lose an engine for having basically nothing wrong.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
Gary, I did not do the machine work. That is one of the few things (recon rods and such as well) that I do not have the stuff to do. I had my wifes, friends, husband do the work where he is the diesel instructor at a vo-tec. He said if the freeze plugs aint a leakin, dont jack with em on these blocks. This one had a ton of miles, but less than .006 between all of the pistons and the wall. Probably has a ton of nickle in the block. New pistons were not even necessary. It is an 86 so I think I am good. Spare parts...Hmmmm...why not, I have them for my other two vehicles.

Sometimes it is hard to see the forest for the trees. New block heater it is.

SWS

P.S. Sat the blower on last night to see how it fits under the hood. I am going to have to make an oval outlet for the top, but with a factory 7.3 IC pipe, the blower to IC pipe is almost a drop in from what I have already. I will post pix when she gets them uploaded.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The factory freeze plugs are stainless steel and require a special tool to install properly. It can be done with a hammer and punch but.... If you don't have experiance doing it this way don't even try it. And if they aren't leaking why change them.... Ford does sell them in sets of 7. You can use a cup style freeze plug for the block heater too. Just find a 1 1/2 inch size and pound it in.... The only real way to know the plugs are in correctly is to use the proper tool and sealant. The oem sealant is no longer available so I used permatex avaition number 2..... Others used hylomar with great results. I installed a set dry and even pressureized my block to 35 lbs. all plugs held great and I used a leak detecter called Snoop Leak detecter... It makes air bubbles if you have a leak... The smaller the leak the finer the bubbles and usually it looks just like foam... About 4000 miles later I found leaks....-cuss I was not happy with myself so I pulled the engine and installed another set but this time I used sealer... No leaks to this day..... Knock on wood with my luck....:angel:

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Mine had a rubber freeze plug put in years ago by my father been fine for years

Last edited:

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
A rubber expandable freeze plug works fine in the heater location but not any other location in our blocks.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
How are the block heaters held in these things? I don't have my spare engine here to look at, and I sure as hell ain't crawlin through the snow to find out!! lol.

Are they threaded in like an old farm tractor, or bold to the block like a big cam cummins?

Where does one obtain a freeze plug installation tool, or what does it look like? I have hever seen one before.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
OTC sells the plug tool. The part number is 303D045... Its around $150.00 and usually is backordered. In all my years watching for one on ebay I saw one a few months ago... Wanted it bad but didn't bid....

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
How are the block heaters held in these things?

The block heaters are held in with a single 8-32 screw in the center of the heater hole, going through a truss nut inside the block. It is all held together with a little spring around the screw.The sealing is done entirely with an O ring around the heater body and a rubber washer under the screw head. Replacing the O ring should do the trick to re-seal the heater, but be careful about tightening the screw. I went overboard and broke the nut but didn't know it until I was 10 miles away on the freeway. The heater popped out of the block at speed and dumped all of the coolant on the ground. Fortunately I noticed the cloud of steam and coolant almost immediately and got to the side of the road.

If you don't need (or want) the heater, use a 1 1/2 inch cupped core plug or rubber expansion plug. The regular plugs used on the rest of the engine will not work in this location, because there is no locating step. It is just a straight hole through.

seawalkersee

It needs a turbo...
Reaction score
As promised...
You must be registered for see images attach

C'mon warmer weather...

SWS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members