glow plugs & heater both out need help?

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glow plugs & heater both out need help? fixed up date

first cold weather hit hard here truck would not start I assume the glow plug relay went out where do I look to even find it 92 ford F 7.3 & anybody have a guess as to replacement cost?
so after I found out it wouldn't start I remembered the engine heater so I plug it in and next morning started right up OK good.
Now this morning it was plugged in and wouldn't start. so now my question is I read somewhere that you could bypass the glow plug relay at least enough to start is this possible.
Thank you for any & all help.

Last edited:

mj05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to unplug the heater BEFORE you start the truck. I've seen heater elements blow out in trucks at the garbage company I worked at because drivers didn't know this.

Andylad13

DieselBoy
Reaction score
What is the truck doing? Is the wait to start light coming on? If so, how long? Why do you want to bypass the relay?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
That's a big assumption. What happened? Did the plugs not cycle at all? what did your volt meter do when you turned the key? Did the wait to start light come on at all,. and if so for how long?

In an emergency, you can disconnect the wire feeding the GP controller and hit it with ether , but strongly not advised if you can figure out what the real problem is. Do not EVER use ether with the plugs active or you might as well start saving for the rebuild.

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to unplug the heater BEFORE you start the truck. I've seen heater elements blow out in trucks at the garbage company I worked at because drivers didn't know this.

I didn't know this and really don't know if I did or not usually I would unplug but I very well my have not I really don't know?
When I turn on the key the start light is on maybe 1-2 seconds closer to 1
all I know for sure is the truck will not start now cold i have two very good batteries so I know thats not it. when I did get it to start cold then it would start easy the rest of the day.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When I turn on the key the start light is on maybe 1-2 seconds closer to 1

OK, Your Glow plugs are toast, at least a few if not most of them. Get a new set of Beru plugs and pop them in and you should be good to go.

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, Your Glow plugs are toast, at least a few if not most of them. Get a new set of Beru plugs and pop them in and you should be good to go.

OK thanks!
is there any particular place that carries that plug and just curious but why is that the go to plug. I take it all plugs are not created equal.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
OK thanks!
is there any particular place that carries that plug and just curious but why is that the go to plug. I take it all plugs are not created equal.

Looks like Ryder fleet products still has them for around $10 ea.

The beru plugs are the factory ones for these engines and for some strange reason, other plugs just don't hold up, even ones that do well in other engines.

The controller senses internal resistance on the plugs, resistance changes as they heat up. When one or more burn out , it causes the controller to get a false reading and short cycle like that, so when the controller only stays on for 1-2 seconds, that tells you it's plug time

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Why is this so important to un plug isn't it separate from the engine.
I mean its a 110v plug in.
what would make it blow out?
I don't see the connection? :dunno
I need to know because I think I may have burned mine up.LOL LOL LOL

also I ordered new gp they havent come yet to see if it made the differance.

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
Why is this so important to un plug isn't it separate from the engine.
I mean its a 110v plug in.
what would make it blow out?
I don't see the connection? :dunno
I need to know because I think I may have burned mine up.LOL LOL LOL

also I ordered new gp they havent come yet to see if it made the differance.

I would think if nothing else, the vibration on a scolding hot element wouldn't be good! I was told to ALWAYS unplug before starting, I ALWAYS have and have a block heater from Napa that is going on 5 years old with no issues...knocking on wood!

IH_444

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When my truck did the same thing last year, I replaced the glow plugs and it still didn't help. I got a new controller and then they worked. Still started hard though. Hopefully yours is just the glows, but you might not be out of the woods yet.

I've never heard that about unplugging block heater before starting- heck I always leave my 6.2 plugged in while warming up.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. Vibration is the issue. These are basically the same elements you would see in a hot water heater. They aren't really designed to be jarred around very much when hot.

lastbugle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! you guys are great!
that was it the glow plugs. The Wait light stays on forever now and it started right up cold.
After i took out the old ones I checked them with the charger and 4 of the 8 wouldn't light, I didn't keep them in order to know if it was all one side or not wished I had. Thank you all again!!!!

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok I tested all my plugs and they are all toast, but the light stays lit for about ten seconds, then cycles to like five, then two, then just clicks but it wont start this way..