Who is using the hypermax cowl intake?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
I saw one persons review on this product in another forum and would like to get some more opinions on it. The price is right but I would like to hear others tales before I fork out the cash.

adam g

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works good for getting cool air to the engine. I don't like it because my parts truck had one. After sitting through a rainy spring/summer my crankcase had 2 gallons of water in it. The air filter was sopping wet/rusted. I don't know if whoever put it on goofed but I wasn't proud.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
as long as the cowl drain is working correct you should get no water even if you do as long as your air cleaner has a drain everything should be fine

Ironman03R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made my own from a $10.00 piece of dryer vent. I have NEVER had any water in my air box. The opening for the tube is at least 1" off the "floor" of the cowl and my drains run good so ther is no way for water to get in there. If it did the factory turbo airbox has a drain hole in it, but it drains onto the valley pan and we all know what happens when it get full of water.
You may need to take to tube off the airbox in the winter. I've found that if snow is sitting on the vents it will block air flow. It also pulls the fine powder snow into the filter.

Attachments

• pic00.jpg
    pic00.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 63

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
For anyone running ram-air intakes like me or hypermax intakes, take them off if its snowing! trust me on this one!

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
Well I think I will pick one up but probably not until next year when it warms up again. If I got it now I'd be rerouting the hose real soon for the winter anyway. I may as well wait until I can get some real use out of it.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
Well I think I will pick one up but probably not until next year when it warms up again. If I got it now I'd be rerouting the hose real soon for the winter anyway. I may as well wait until I can get some real use out of it.

snow and turbo blades dont go together at all, i know of one engine that was sucking snow into the air filter until it suck so much that it cut the air off and the engine died:eek:

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
It kind of makes me wonder about something though. If you remove the filter, wouldn't it sort of be like having natural water injection?:sly Not that I would be doing anything like that as I'm sure more than just snow would get in there, just a thought that popped into my head.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
It kind of makes me wonder about something though. If you remove the filter, wouldn't it sort of be like having natural water injection?:sly Not that I would be doing anything like that as I'm sure more than just snow would get in there, just a thought that popped into my head.

the only problem is you wont be able to control the amount of water going in so then you could have a hydrolocked motor with bent rods:eek::eek:

discbrks

Reaction score
Snow? What is snow? I've heard of it, and seen pictures.... but never first hand. Is it kinda like bigfoot and the lochness monster?

Sycostang67

Scooty Puff Junior
Reaction score
You're missing out, snow makes driving twice as much fun. The streets becomes your drift course and you get to make money pulling all the grateful city going transplants from the ditch.:rotflmao

CDX825

filtration nut
Reaction score
I just love the cold and the road salt that comes with the snow. There is nothing like trying to break a salt rusted nut or bolt loose. Also its ability to turn nice looking vehicle into crap in no time at all.

dyoung14

Is getting worn out
Reaction score
I just love the cold and the road salt that comes with the snow. There is nothing like trying to break a salt rusted nut or bolt loose. Also its ability to turn nice looking vehicle into crap in no time at all.

that one thing that sucks about it