Who has put a 92+ front clip on?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
just wondering who has done that and what is involved? is it just a swap of the sheet metal and hood or?

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
ok thats easy thx, to bad the rad support is specific thats makes searching more difficult lol

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can use a gasoline core support, but you won't be able to use the tall diesel radiator. I have a gasoline core support in my truck, so I just used the wide diesel radiator.

Alex S

Jeoff
Reaction score
you think it can be chopped and lowered, i have a plasma cutter and welder and steel lying around. Or is the gas support wide but short and the diesel is narrow but tall?

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you think it can be chopped and lowered, i have a plasma cutter and welder and steel lying around. Or is the gas support wide but short and the diesel is narrow but tall?

You can cut the bottom or barrel as some have referred to it, out of the gas core support and put the one from a diesel core support in it. I think Mel (Agnem) may have done this on one of his conversions. You could probably also fabricate some parts to lower if you don't want to cut up your old core support. I thought about going this route on mine, but I had to buy a new radiator anyway, so I just went with the wider one that fits the gas core support.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm really intrigued by this recent "discovery". Not sure if it was you, or just who figured this out, but I always wondered why the 83' had the wide rad, and this makes perfect sense. ;Sweet I guess that means that the Moose Truck will have a much larger selection of core supports if it ever needed one. Yes, we modified the gas one in a 94' with the bottom barrel from an 85'. It was easy as long as you have a grinder and mig welder. Photoessay below.

You must be registered for see images

91f2504x4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's really funny is, that to put the diesel radiator in a diesel Core support, Ford had to use some brackets that fasten to the radiator and then to the core support. But if you put the wide diesel radiator into a gas core support, you don't have to have any brackets at all, the holes are already there and everything, it sets right in with no problems at all.

Cincinnati Guy

Reaction score
I have done it to, basically plug and play. The only modification is the mounts under the fenders back by the cab you just have to bend them thats all.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Heath has done it too. Is the cowl swap a requirement? Or is it just to preserve the look of that model year? I prefer the holes to the slots. If I ever got a bug up my but to swap them I'd like to know if it would work.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, I swapped the clip off a '95 PSD F-SuperDuty onto my '86. Like stated above, there is a slight difference in the way the rear bottom mount on the fenders bolts up. It is horizontal on the '83-'86 cab, but it is verticle on the '92+ cab. I'm not sure about the mount on the '87-'91 trucks. I bought the entire clip from a salvage yard. The IDI radiator bolted to the PSD front clip like it was made for it. Mel......The cowl was also different between the two body styles and must be swapped.
You must be registered for see images

Heath

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle