Brownie install update

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Well, I'm finally getting time to got my 5831 auxilliary tranny installed. Got it part way in, basically have it mocked up in there at the moment. Was getting ready to yank the main tranny to replace the flywheel and figured i'd better check my new driveshafts for fit first ( OK, Im sitting on $1100 in new custom driveshafts and couldn't stand it any longer, I just HAD to see what it was all going to look like :D
It's all still in the rough at the moment but getting close.
For you viewing pleasure:

Attachments

• Inst1.jpg
    Inst1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 87
  • Inst2.jpg
    Inst2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 75
  • Inst3.jpg
    Inst3.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Inst4.jpg
    Inst4.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 53

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Lookin' good! What do you need to finish the install?

Time mostly. I've got to get my zf wrangled out to get rid of my DMF that was starting to act up. Right now I'm at cursing ATS for their stupid slip fit downpipe setup . Once I get that sucker loose, I'll get the main tranny out and replace the flywheel and shove it back in , then a little fine fitting on the brownie , and About all that's left is to cut the rivits for the mount to the original center support bearing and bend up the shift linkage rods.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You do realize that with that pto on the brownie you can have like a 27 speed pto accessory. Well maybe 5 or 6 speeds.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You do realize that with that pto on the brownie you can have like a 27 speed pto accessory. Well maybe 5 or 6 speeds.
Yea, but what can I do with that kind of power, rig a bed mounted catapult :rotflmao

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you go about acheiving the drive-shaft yoke-plate adapters that bolt onto the drive-flanges of the auxilliary ??

Did you have those that were originally on the auxilliary; or, did your shaft maker provide them ??

Are those two U-joints sized for a big truck with the bolted on cups ??

I have a couple HUGE drive-shafts that I scavenged at junk-yards that have the mating flange and monstrously big U-joints.

I may end up grafting those into the hybrid shafts that I will need.

Thanks.;Sweet

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
How did you go about acheiving the drive-shaft yoke-plate adapters that bolt onto the drive-flanges of the auxilliary ??

Did you have those that were originally on the auxilliary; or, did your shaft maker provide them ??

Are those two U-joints sized for a big truck with the bolted on cups ??

I have a couple HUGE drive-shafts that I scavenged at junk-yards that have the mating flange and monstrously big U-joints.

I may end up grafting those into the hybrid shafts that I will need.

Thanks.;Sweet

The flanges were on the box already, but they are standard spicer size and are still available ( I have catalogs and part numbers around here somewhere for matching the things up to the measurements ). I had to purchase the flange yokes from my driveshaft builder. I got them with the smallest ujoints possible for something that would bolt up to those flanges. one of them is a 1550 ujoint and the other is a 1410, so the only weak links in the system are the 1350 ujoints at the main box and the diff, which I look at as more of a fuse considering the insane strength of the rest of that driveline LOL

If you already had a couple of shafts with 1550 joints or 1410 or 1480 or even :eek: 1600 ujoints on them, you would have the makings for some great new shafts. all they would have to do is attach some 1350 yokes on one end and you'd be in business. It would be wise to use those heavy shafts considering the torque involved with that low range if you have a heavy load on. My driveshaft builder built mine where they look like they belong on a semi. I can't even lift the front one by myself. That sucker is huge.. It's right at maximum length. He thought it might vibrate too much and we'd have to cut it into a 2 piece, but he did such a good job on it, we were able to keep it a one piece

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks so much; and thanks for the manuals. ;Sweet

Mine has the flange-plates on the gear-box, and I do have those huge U-joint/flanges.

I need to get a better place to work than outside in the gravel, so that I can finally get this done. ;Really

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Thanks so much; and thanks for the manuals. ;Sweet

Mine has the flange-plates on the gear-box, and I do have those huge U-joint/flanges.

I need to get a better place to work than outside in the gravel, so that I can finally get this done. ;Really

I've got a flat chunk of concrete , a tranny jack an air powered hydraulic pipe bender and all kinds of welding equipment that you are welcome to drop by and poke that thing in if you need to. Might be a bit of a drive though.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a flat chunk of concrete , a tranny jack an air powered hydraulic pipe bender and all kinds of welding equipment that you are welcome to drop by and poke that thing in if you need to. Might be a bit of a drive though.

:hail:hail THANKS !!!

And I can sort of just hold the light and hand you tools, while making sure not to get too bad in your way.

When can we start ?? ;Really

wanabebig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ha that or swing up this way.. i'm always game for a midnight challege of putting something in or working on it to get it in.. but like he said might be a bit of a drive.. ha!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
:hail:hail THANKS !!!

And I can sort of just hold the light and hand you tools, while making sure not to get too bad in your way.

When can we start ?? ;Really

Gotta wait till another buddy brings his truck by so we can do a head gasket swap on that beast first.. we got a line around here :rotflmao