Finally got a real truck!

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Care to elaborate on that? :D:D

Its got a 2.3L turbo diesel now, 4cyl overhead cam made by mitsubishi. It was offered in both the dodge ram (rebadged mitsubishi mighty max) as well as the ford rangers in the mid 80s. Its called the 4D55-T, its descendant is still in production to this day and they are the workhorse of south east asia.

We bought a 1985 ranger donor truck from a wrecker that had the engine, I had to rebuild it, then swapped it over. All rangers of that era used a mitsubishi transmission of one type or another, so the bellhousing from the donor fit the transmission that was in our truck (the donor was 2wd so we couldn't use it).

Very nice little motor and it has comparable perfomance to the 2.9L EFI that it replaced. It uses the bosch VE rotary injector pump and it can make lots of power, but I'm too scared to crank the fuel up for fear of lifting the aluminum head. Stock rating is 86Hp, but the new rollercam head I put on last year probably brings it in the mid 90s. I'm sure it actually has less max power than the V6, but the powerband is such that you only notice the difference if you try and go past 80 MPH (which it will do, BTW)

Its actually my sister's truck, but I joke about saying that its MY engine. I saw a ford exploder with a cummins 4BT once, but the nice thing about this engine is that it matched the weight of the 2.9 so no suspension mods were needed.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its got a 2.3L turbo diesel now, 4cyl overhead cam made by mitsubishi. It was offered in both the dodge ram (rebadged mitsubishi mighty max) as well as the ford rangers in the mid 80s. Its called the 4D55-T, its descendant is still in production to this day and they are the workhorse of south east asia.

We bought a 1985 ranger donor truck from a wrecker that had the engine, I had to rebuild it, then swapped it over. All rangers of that era used a mitsubishi transmission of one type or another, so the bellhousing from the donor fit the transmission that was in our truck (the donor was 2wd so we couldn't use it).

Very nice little motor and it has comparable perfomance to the 2.9L EFI that it replaced. It uses the bosch VE rotary injector pump and it can make lots of power, but I'm too scared to crank the fuel up for fear of lifting the aluminum head. Stock rating is 86Hp, but the new rollercam head I put on last year probably brings it in the mid 90s. I'm sure it actually has less max power than the V6, but the powerband is such that you only notice the difference if you try and go past 80 MPH (which it will do, BTW)

Its actually my sister's truck, but I joke about saying that its MY engine. I saw a ford exploder with a cummins 4BT once, but the nice thing about this engine is that it matched the weight of the 2.9 so no suspension mods were needed.

That sounds like a sweet little truck man. :thumbsup:

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More pics,

You must be registered for see images

What is this thing that these bare wires are going to? :dunno

The axle donor truck.

The axle. ;Sweet :love:

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
that is the tach sensor. ya might wanna tape up them wires

welcome the the site new guy

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have access to the truck, you will need the springs and the track bar mount on the frame. the D50 springs are arched the wrong way and the track bar mount is a SOB to find.

John Deere

Reaction score
if you have access to the truck, you will need the springs and the track bar mount on the frame. the D50 springs are arched the wrong way and the track bar mount is a SOB to find.

Towcat do you mind elaborating on the front springs being the wrong way. I did the swap using my original 44 springs, and increased the ride height in front roughly to the same height as other f350's around here. What I do need to do eventually is scrounge up the rear f350 spacer blocks to level out my pickup. Which is something I recommend you go back and get metalmacguyver. And a bag of ice for the kidneys. :D LOL

And ditto on the track bar mount, I got freaking lucky that a friend was doing a shackle reversal on his, and no longer needed the oem mount.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Towcat do you mind elaborating on the front springs being the wrong way. I did the swap using my original 44 springs, and increased the ride height in front roughly to the same height as other f350's around here. What I do need to do eventually is scrounge up the rear f350 spacer blocks to level out my pickup. Which is something I recommend you go back and get metalmacguyver. And a bag of ice for the kidneys. :D LOL

And ditto on the track bar mount, I got freaking lucky that a friend was doing a shackle reversal on his, and no longer needed the oem mount.
the IFS springs are reverse arched. they're not intended to support the entire weight of the truck, the pivot point shares some of the load.

1989f2507.3idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my friend has a power stroke that he tows his rock crawler ranger that we put together. its an 02 motor and body with an 89 frame 62 bronco d44 and like 123 in lift. rangers the the best mini truck. nice trucks btw

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the IFS springs are reverse arched. they're not intended to support the entire weight of the truck, the pivot point shares some of the load.

Not quite.

The way it is set up is like a lever arm. The weight of the truck applys twice the force on the spring like a 2:1 lever.

When installing a D60 in place of the D50 the truck will be lifted in the front from the simple fact that the springs will have less load on them.

Since you suggest it, I will go back and get the rear blocks and ubolts.

I will get some pictures of the axle install as soon as the axle is ready to go in. I will need to do ujoints and the kingpins and pick up wheel bearings to install when I actually install the axle and swap over my good brake components to this axle.

I did the rear brakes today and replaced the leaky axle seals. The truck actually stops now! :thumbsup:

I am still not happy with how strong the brakes are though.

Who has done hydroboost and how strong is it compared to stock brakes?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
f450 hydro boost with the original pickup mc filed to fit the studs is what I did. WOrks awesome. I know others use the bigger cylinder but all that does is give you pedal feel, I like the hydaulic advantage of the smaller bore master. The best thing you can do is get teflon brake hoses for the system also. raises the pedal 2 inches.
It will stop very well. Impressed me and I am picky about brakes.
Oh and get the hydro pump too, the non is a little low on pressure.

Metalmacguyver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the hydroboost unit today. Came out of a 1992 F-superduty. The motor was already gone so I couldnt get the pump. They also cut the line to the hydroboost unit. I ordered one through Advanced auto and it will be in tomorrow.

Does any one know if I can just bring the two return lines together with a T fitting to save having to buy and swap to the replacement pump reservoir?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online