Plans, Pictures and/or Ideas for a homebrew front bumper?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are putting the probe anywhere besides the manifold, then you may as well not have one at all.

For some reason this comes to mind:moon:

Here's a few shots of my grill guard, would be easy to incorporate into a bumper

You must be registered for see images attach

OOPS, wrong end.LOL:angel:

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
My Lincoln stick welder did a great job on my 1/4" plate motor mounts (well, I helped too!) and they don't cost too much, mine was $25 at a yard sale!

wow $25... mine was more like $300, but then again that was new. I wish I could've found one cheep when I needed to buy it.

Come on guys, I wanna see some more bumper ideas... I need to make one for my PSD truck, and for the soon to be '78 IDI Bronco [thanks Jred]!

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
heres a few pics of a few I've built. The one on the red truck is 1/4 plate no frame work no need for one depending on how you build it. The pipe is 2" sch 40. The one on the black truck is 3/16 plate still no need for frame work its plenty heavy enough. The one on the white truck is 1/8 diamond plate which needs a frame work or bracing and the pipe is 4" sch 40. I used a lincoln110 wire welder to tack the stuff together then used a lincoln stick welder to weld it all up till I got a new miller 210 wire welder now thats all I use;Sweet

Attachments

• garys bumper2.JPG
    garys bumper2.JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 37
  • garys bumper3.JPG
    garys bumper3.JPG
    189.8 KB · Views: 25
  • wash2.JPG
    wash2.JPG
    179.5 KB · Views: 26
  • wash4.JPG
    wash4.JPG
    144.8 KB · Views: 33
  • tow1.JPG
    tow1.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 52

FordGuy100

Reaction score
heres a few pics of a few I've built. The one on the red truck is 1/4 plate no frame work no need for one depending on how you build it. The pipe is 2" sch 40. The one on the black truck is 3/16 plate still no need for frame work its plenty heavy enough. The one on the white truck is 1/8 diamond plate which needs a frame work or bracing and the pipe is 4" sch 40. I used a lincoln110 wire welder to tack the stuff together then used a lincoln stick welder to weld it all up till I got a new miller 210 wire welder now thats all I use;Sweet

:hail You are my hero LOL. I'm so going to build up one of those for my truck, without a doubt ;Sweet

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
93 turbo, do you happen to have any drawings or templates of any of them?;Sweet

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Here ya go.......Little overkill...

Attachments

• DelanoPA.jpg
    DelanoPA.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 18
  • EastLakeFL.jpg
    EastLakeFL.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 13
  • LexingtonKY.jpg
    LexingtonKY.jpg
    251 KB · Views: 12
  • MtCarbonPA.jpg
    MtCarbonPA.jpg
    360.5 KB · Views: 15

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
here's a couple pics of a style I like----altho I do also like the 4" pipe covered in diamond plate as well.

That's why I haven't built one yet :dunnocookooLOL

Attachments

• grille_guard_1.jpg
    grille_guard_1.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 46
  • grille_guard_2.JPG
    grille_guard_2.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 36

tractorman86

Reaction score
geo has my style pegged that is almost exactly what i want to build just got to get some 1/4" plate and get to work. its gonna take a lot of measuring and measuring and checking. I have a lincoln 250 mig, cranked up to 20-21 volts welds awsome even on like 1/2" plate

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
no drawings but your bumper makes an excellent template and then just measure up what size pieces look good and away you go

Geo looks good infact looks easier less angles to worry about less curves not as many bezels to add no pipe to bend sweet

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
Might as well put my cow catcher up here...

My buddy made this out of two 1/4" hunks of C channel & welded em together with a 220 MIG. He mounted it on a 86 Chevy fullsize mud truck & used it good. Then they pulled it off of there & stuck it on a 83 Toyota pickup. He wanted to sell it so we pulled it off the yota & welded it 365* around my frame rails with a 220 stick welder & 7018 rod. You can jack up the truck on that bumper it ain't going no where. I still have to weld on the top & side plates one of these days.
Recent pics of it painted....

The things on the bottom were for a tow bar setup on the yota.

How far it sticks out....

I like to lay a hunk of plywood across the rad & on top of the brush guard & it makes working on anything like pump, injectors, glow plugs a breeze. Can't beat the platform to stand on either! :D

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
That looks simple enough to make - I'd put a front hitch on it and rig up a tire carrier....

Hrm. Too bad steel is so damn 'spensive these days

Cat_Rebel

Does not compute
Reaction score
That looks simple enough to make - I'd put a front hitch on it and rig up a tire carrier....

Hrm. Too bad steel is so damn 'spensive these days

I have a weld on Reece hitch that's gathering dust, was supposted to be installed since about Febuary. LOL
Just need to get together with a good welder & mount it up. I left the tow bar slots on there to help protect the rad.
What I'd do is talk to as many people as you know & see if any of em have something 1/4" it be C channel, 4"+ steel pipe or you can even make an I beam work if you have a way to cut it (torch, prinder, plasma) & put some thought at it.
Oh yeah by the way get another person, that stuff is just a tad to heavy for one person to throw around. Don't ask me how I know.....cookoo

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I left the tow bar slots on there

Something I have been meaning to do for several years is to build a stout tow-bar and add tow-bar connections to all of my vehicles, such that any one of my trucks could tow any of the others, with no need for someone riding the towed truck steering and braking and trembling with fear.LOL

There are many times when this would be super useful.

Another project that keeps getting put off is a push/pull bar that can be used to push or pull vehicles, either on the road or around the place.

A push/pull bar is a lot less nerve-wracking than being towed with a log-chain; you can't get any closer than the length of the bar.;Sweet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online