Pyrometer Wiring

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
Well I finally put a Stewart Warner pyrometer in my truck and I have a question about the wiring. I ordered the probe for around $70 and the gage for $30 and now I am finding out that I am supposed to get another $80 wire to hook them together. Why would a 7 ft wire be $80???? Thats allot to choke down.

Soooooo
1. What is so special about this wire? Does it have a specific resistance like an ignition wire?
2. Is there a cheaper alternative?
3. Could I use regular wire and a resister?

I know these gages read a specific voltage from the dissimilar metals bonded together so i know clean connections are paramount. we have the equipment to make K type thermocouples at work here but I can't make one myself with the proper fittings that would last in a manifold. wire length is not a concern with the ones we use at work so like mentioned what is so special about the Stewart Warner wire?

thanks for any help

sootman73

Reaction score
wow thats expensive to not get the thermocouple lead with it! i got my autometer phantom II for 120 with all the parts i needed plus some extra fittings. i would have to agree with you that 80 is very expensive just for the wire!

i dont think you could just make one since it is a thermocouple wire and not normal copper sending wire.

suv7734

Reaction score
Yes the wire is very specific. I am guessing you have a type K thermocouple which should have one red lead and one yellow lead. If so check out the prices here and just get the length you need. You will need the 'high temp' ones though which are meant for the type K thermocouple (yellow jacket with one red and one yellow lead).

Last edited:

93turbo_animal

Reaction score
the prices are screwy but the total is almost right in jegs you can get an auto meter pyro for anywhere between 90-120 depending on the style and the probe for 50 but that would be everything you need to put it in

sootman73

Reaction score
mine all came in one piece for $130! didn't have to buy the thermocouple separate. with the prices he said it would be like $180! i'd never pay that much. i have one of the more expensive ones from autometer (LED lighting and electric stepper motor lifetime warranty) of course i bought mine at the DHRA Indy Nationals.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey you should just buy the thermocouple lead from Oregon Fuel Injection or Ken at DPS. They both have the lead you nead for around $14-15 for the 7 foot piece and a few bucks more for the 10'. That's what I'm going to do here very soon. I really need a working pyro. Did you get the big truck style 3" gauge from ebay? That's what I have...I love it, I just need to figure out where to mount it and of course get that lead. You also might find those low prices closer to home if you have a major ISSPRO dealer in your neighborhood.
GL,
JD

subway

Reaction score
thanks JD and suv7734 I will have to check that out, I did go with the 3" one from fleabay and I really like the look of it in general but for the surprise pricing crap I ran into I should have bought a kit like sootman.

yes i did order and install the K type thermocouple and actaully wired it right to my gage to see what would happen. I dont think it is accurate because I can peg the bad range just getting on the highway in my old NA engine without the pump turned up not rolling smoke at all.

I have never done a pyro before and just assumed the leads came with the thermocouple and had no idea how expensive it was. So $180 to piece together a system is nuts to me.

Edit - wow my camera really pics up the dust in my truck.......

Attachments

• gage.JPG
    gage.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 55

subway

Reaction score
Nice bud, where did you get that 3" pod. Nobody seems to have one...., thanks
JD

thanks,
I made it, well I had some help, called in a favor with a boared machinist to cut the 3" hole for me since I only have a 2 1/4 hole saw. but the rest is simply some sheet metal bent and trimmed around the hole then I sandblasted it and painted it.

it looks close but dousent touch the shifter boot and i can see it clearly while driving. i just hate cutting holes in dashes for wiring and stuff.