Help wiring manual control GP switch

rap69ri

Rick
Reaction score
I just picked up an '83 F-250 6.9L with 87k original miles for free. It will start after cranking it for awhile. After reading through this sites posts it looks like it may need a manual GP switch, but I can't find out how to wire it correctly. The truck still has the original controller, no solid state, and the glow plug light only comes on for a about 2 seconds no matter what the temp is.

Could someone please help me out with the wiring details for the switch?

Thanks

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real easy. Find the purple wire that is on the glow plug relay on the passenger side fender. Pull that off. Now run a wire from that exposed post to your dash switch, and then the other side of the single pole single throw momentary-on switch to a 12V+ key on source. You can leave the existing controller in place, or pull it and plug the water jacket opening with a pipe plug (or better yet, a sender for a real water temp gauge).

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you do this does the glowplug light come on when you flip the swich? I tried this about 10 mins. ago and nothing. Maybe Im missing something here but its too dang cold outside to be fooling with it right now. is there a diagram of this somewhere? sorry for the stupid question.

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone take a wire from the positve battery terminal and touch it to the small post on the glow plug relay closest to the engine. The relay should activate and the light in the cab should come on.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have someone take a wire from the positve battery terminal and touch it to the small post on the glow plug relay closest to the engine. The relay should activate and the light in the cab should come on.

Thats how I have my toggle switch run. I did cut the connector and splice it to my wire from the toggle so that may be why the interior light isnt coming on when I flip the switch:dunno

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The light should come on when the relay activates. I spliced into a wire that comes on with the key on. The old water seperator (eliminated) had a wiring harness that went to it. It had a couple wires that had power with the key on. I used one of those wires.

gamudslinger88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went from my battery to a toggle switch and to the post on the relay. I pulled the purple wire off so do I need it back on to turn the light in the cab on?

cleithau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You should be able to leave the purple wire off. That wire sends power to the relay. Check that big plug connector right after the glow plug relay. Maybe its loose or corroded.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What year is your truck? The glow light is controlled directly by the controller on some model years, and if you want the light to light, you will have to wire it up differently. I can tell you with certainty that the light will not come on in an 83'.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok guys... Where do I find the glow plug switch thats in the coolant side of my 89 7.3? Is that the sender behind the thermostat housing and if it is does it also double as the cold advance for the pump.

TBigLug

I Miss U Baby Girl
Reaction score
Sorry for digging up an old post but I have a question along these lines. Can I leave the purple wire conneced to the post along with my jumper wire? Reason is, the automatic cycle works great if I have the truck plugged in and most times when it's cold but if it's below 20 degrees and I try to start it with one cycle it usually doesn't fire. If I jump the posts of the relay together for an extra five or ten seconds it will fire up just fine. I figure, if I could leave the purple wire connected as well I could use the factory setup for 90% of my starting but I could have a manual switch to cycle them an extra couple seconds of heat to get it going.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online