Why does my truck only hold 10gals in each tank?

Houndsman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot guys I would pull the flat bed off but I have some good (tac's) on there lol, so droping the tanks are the only way for me,

pwjackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Question, I need to drop my rear tank to replace it soon. Are you able to drop the tank down and then disconnect the fule lines and such?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
The rear tank is the tuff tank to drop. you must cut loose the fuel lines at the frame cross member so you have enough slackin them to reach in to get them off the tank top. I'm sure you will find the shower head suction broken off. Usually we know this when our truck run out of fuel with about 1/4 tank of fuel left that we can't suck out cause the suction level is now much higher. Dropping a tank with fluid in it will be touchy. No matter what you do the fuel will migrate to the low side and throw off your balance. Going back up its easy.. No fuel will be in the tank.. I tried to install my rear tank with fuel stil in it... Big mistake but I fixed that quickly after I heard the pop of my head coming out of my ass...:eek:cookoo:angel: I'm a fast learner...

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha Goose, ain't that the truth. LOL

I think this should help. You'll be replacing the black piece in the picture.
You must be registered for see images attach
Great picture...
My rear tank is siphoned empty > when I soon get to do this task I'll hose clamp a section of steel rod to the added hose (to keep it pointed down) > my luck the new hose will curl-up in the tank and act just like the busted shower-head.:rolleyes:

Question, is there a special tool required to remove the OE fuel lines from the top of the sender?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I'll be doing this - although my front tank will read past E (when it stops moving) and I'll get another 100 miles out of it, so it sounds like my damn sending unit is toast. Hopefully I can clean it and it will work, but who knows...

Good idea on pulling the bed - I'll probably do that to save time.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Front tank should be 19 gal, mine routinely holds 20 as did the one on my previous truck, rear should be 17gal. I usually see 34 gallons or so on every fill up giving me an empty front tank and 3 gallons or so of a cushion on the rear tank. 14-15 mpg should net you 450-500 miles between fill ups.

Hyde

N GO SEEK
Reaction score
My rear tank leaks so I only use the front till I get off my butt and put my 30 gallon in the rear. The most Ive ever put in the front is about 11 gallons, mostly because the gauge plummets to empty shortly after half tank. Ive never run it out though, probably still has quite a bit left in it I just prefer to be cautious

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haha Goose, ain't that the truth. LOL

I think this should help. You'll be replacing the black piece in the picture.
You must be registered for see images attach

Thanks for giving my PHOTO credit...where due ;Poke I'm glad my shitz helping out LOL