out of the engine and in the tank???

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
While Im new to oil burning rigs I'm getting inodated with info. Either off the diff forums on the net, or buddies at work with diesels. I've heard from a guy at work 2nd hand, another friend takes his old engine oil from an oil change, runs thru a filter of some kind, and pours it into the fuel tank of the truck. cookoo Is this true??? I know diesel is oil based and have also heard that household heating oil is diesel fuel without the color addetive, and road tax.

thx
Jim

Pipeliner_86

IDI up high
Reaction score
Yep. I run used motor oil in my truck. Everytime I fill up, I throw a little used oil in the tank for lubrication. The new ULSD fuel isn't worth a hoot compared to the old diesel fuel with the higher sulpher content.
If you have access to home heating fuel oil, thats great stuff to run in the truck.....as long as the gov. don't catch ya. They want their share of road tax money.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yup i have run up to a 50/50 mix of used motor oil WMO and diesel others have down more but that is about as high as i have gotten. i filter it at 10 microns down to 1 with filter setups you can get from tractor supply and a few fittings.

dont knock it to much, i get it for free and my truck runs well off of it. with the price of fuel and the added lub i am ok with it. if it was clean enough to run through the bearings in my engine and i filter it better why would it be so bad?

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well would the same be for used kitchen oil... Yes I know there a few busses runing around bragging about 100% used kitchen oil. But I know there are mods they have to run this way... could I also dump in 1gal : 20gal flitered cooking oil to the diesel fuel as well??? W/O making any adjustments

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
There is a site here just for these questions. My concern about running waste motor oil is the soot from the blowby diesel and the metals from the rotating parts in it. I feel over time they will end up on the injectors and plug things up. This is just my reasons for not running it. Some that use it here state that the exhaust smells like you are burning oil because of bad rings or valve seals.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Heck, sometimes some of us don't even filter it. :angel:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
Heck, sometimes some of us don't even filter it. :angel:

Hey, someo of us don't even have to do the work of taking if out of the motor and putting it in the fuel tank! My motor sucks the used oil right out of the pan and puts it in the cylenders to burn all by its self! :rotflmao :eek:

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The "soot" is actually sort of a graphite-like lubricant.

Cummins actually makes a gizmo that draws a portion of engine-oil and mixes it in the fuel, ahead of the injector-pump; you just have to remember to replace the oil at each fueling.

Cummins also okays and recommends mixing five-percent used engine oil into the fuel.

I have ran up to 50/50, with no adverse effects.

I regularly add one-gallon/forty-gallons fuel, at each filling, and have for a long time.

jimraelee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well It seems I need to get a filter setup going.... since it was posted, I guess I will find the group about engine/vege oil burning... Need to know about vege oil, the wife loves to deep fry

thanks guys for your feedback

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86