Heater Fitting In Head

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well as I'm finishing up all the little things before I install my motor I pull the heater hose fitting thats located in the passenger side head. I always look thru anything like that. You never know what you might find!!! So as I look inside I see something... It looks like an o-ring. I finally get it out and its all burned up but you can tell it was an orfice at one time. It even has a machined out area that it fits in. Mine got really hot when the motor burned down when it overheated because the freeze plug poped out at 5200 miles from a complete rebuild....-cuss -cuss Boy do I remember that mess.... Anyway has anybody ever seen this or knows if we need it? As I posted mines really burned up. Could this be a reason some motors run hotter than others or cooler than others. My heater has worked fine. My other heads have the same fitting but the rubber orfice is gone. Just something for thought. I will probably be ordering a new one tomorrow....:dunno

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
gary-
i can't say if I noticed anything special about the fitting. Just a standard pipe thread on one side and a hose barb on the other. The opening on the inside wasn'g huge, but nothing else. Kinda line a hose fitting like you would find at any parts house. I know the '90 and up auto trans trucks had another fitting on the radiator that had a 1/4" hole in the center and it was done to equalize the temp fluctuations these trucks had in the winter.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
In the 3 head swaps I've done, I've never seen anything like that in the heater core nipple???????

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well I sure knew somebody would ask for a picture... Thats going to really cost me. My Sony digital camera crapped out on me when I was inside an SR71 cockpit pilots seat. I was taking pictures of the control panels for my 71 buildup in the future. My 71 is 9 ft long and 6 ft wide with 2 ducted fans.... Anyway I will have to buy another camera so everyone can see this. It really surprised me to see something like this. The rubber orfice is kinda like the gaskets in the ends of a graden hose. It has protrousions on the sides to keep it in place. Calvin, I know of the return from the heater to the bottom of the rad. I removed mine. That "special hose" from Ford will cost me around $100.00. All it does is it warms up the trans cooler section sooner so the trans is working at a proper temp sooner on a cold start. The fitting is small at about 1/8 inch port drilled in it.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My heater fitting is all steel, I bet that rubber chunk is from the head gasket.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well guys.... Its for real. I called Fordparts Online. The part number is E3TZ-18599-B... Costs around $9.50..... No longer stocked or available......:cry: So they gave me 3 dealers in my area of about 150 miles and the first one I called said they would need to "look for it" Maybe they piped it out..:dunno Anyways they called me back in an hour to tell me they have it so off I go to buy it. Well $16.04 later I have what isn't available any longer..... Its got a rubber restrictor in it. I pulled it out and found its .272 diameter and the brass fitting is drilled out to .372.... Any thoughts on this. Maybe its one of those "things" that works everywhere. Maybe in the colder climates the restrictor is just removed and here in the warmer climates its left in . My heater has always worked fine. Almost cooks you out of the crewcab when its on full.....

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I agree, maybe it's a climate thang?

With the goofy way Ford climate controls are. Maybe it's supposed to restrict the heater core flow, so you can get more AC?

Up here, I wouldn't run any kind of restrictor. It takes long enough to get heat when it's -30 F