Starting Problem

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Starting Problem.

Okay guys need some help. New to diesel and I have just bought a 91 f250 with a 7.3 idi. On the way from driving it home it died. So I know I have fuel coming out of the low pressure pump supplying the IP. Have a nice solid stream coming from the schrader valve on the fuel filter. So, I cracked open the line to the injectors and have no fuel at all coming from the IP to the injectors. Is this a dead pump? Or, am I over looking something here? Please help!!!

Last edited:

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
On top of the ip there are 2 wires on the drivers side. Make sure the front one is on. Also make sure your ignition switch is on when you do this. If the is all good, time for a fuel filter

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On top of the ip there are 2 wires on the drivers side. Make sure the front one is on. Also make sure your ignition switch is on when you do this. If the is all good, time for a fuel filter
Along with the above and because the OP is a new owner...what sits atop the IP with the two wires going to it is the Fuel Shut Off Solenoid/valve.
When the key is turn to 'run' you should hear a nice solid "click" indicating that fuel shut-off is indeed open > if not the engine won't start.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
You actually will never see a stream of fuel comming out of the injector lines at the injectors. Only a small drop of fuel will be seen during cranking. Careful... This fuel is under around 1800 lbs of pressure. If your fuel tanks are at 1/4 level you probably ran out of fuel. Usually the pickups in the tanks rot or break off and the last 1/4 tank of fuel can't be sucked up. Easy fix with a short length of hose on the end of the fuel pickup in the tanks. How many miles are on the fuel filter too. Did you just refuel at an unknown fuel station. Could be water in fuel or maybe some crap plugging up the filter...

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Fuel filter is brand new. Just installed and bled the injection system. The Fuel safety shut off solenoid is getting power and can hear it clicking. There is fuel coming from the fuel filter bleeder valve on top of where the fuel filter screws onto, so I know the pickups didn't break off. Don't fully understand why where there only be a drop out of the fuel injection line at the fuel injector? Again it's not only that it won't start but it died on me while driving at a steady speed of 55 mph.

international

Drownin' in diesel
Reaction score
Pull the supply line off the pump from the filter head. If you have fuel coming from the filter head you probably have a bad injection pump.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Okay I def have fuel coming from the supply pump. How much fuel should be coming from the IP at the injectors?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
There isn't alot from the pump to the injectors. I can't rememeber on the supply pump(Lift pump) to the ip

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Should it be a drip or a nice squirt? Im getting a drip at the injectors. I don't understand why it would have just shut down on me while driving if im getting fuel at the injectors.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's not like a IP to just "die" without giving warning. And even if the pick-up/s in the tank broke away again, the engine will usually surge when it gets a gulp of air prior to dieing.
If it died hard like turning the key "off" I would almost question if the fuel valve on-top of the IP is acting up.

With the engine running and I crack one of my injector lines it will spit out fuel.
When priming my new injectors, I used a remote starter, disabled the GP's(by cranking and NOT using the key)and had 4 injectors cracked open pretty good > cranked it for several seconds until the injectors were spitting fuel...then tightened them down, put current to the GP's and off it fired.
Soooo with the above being said, I would still want to see a little squirt coming from a loose injector cap if loosened enough when cranking. I know mine would squirt/wet the underside of the hood!

Of course, not saying your IP isn't the problem too...sorry.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Might want to pull the feed line off the tail of teh ip and pop the little inlet screen off and take a look at it to see if it's clogged with crud. Be ready with a new rubber donut seal for the end of teh inlet pipe from the IH dealer. Those seals generally dont; reseal well, best to pop a new one on when putting it back together.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
I have "some" fuel coming out of the top of the injectors with it cracked open but not what I would consider spitting. I would describe it as a dribble. I will have to pull the feed line and check the screen. I will update in morning. Getting truck towed back home tomorrow morn. Thanks for the advice.

OHIDI83

Reaction score
Ok got the truck home and again rechecked fuel supply to the IP and found plenty of fuel pressure and volume. Screen was not clogged at inlet of IP. Must be IP right?