Crumbling glow connector ends

Firedog210

Firedog
Reaction score
I started replacing the glow plugs and injectors today. As I started pulling on the glow plug ends they are just crumbling into pieces. The wire seems to be still pliable and the insulation is still good. Is there anything I can do to replace the ends. If not is there a good place I can buy a harness. Thanks in advance.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Nothing really going to happen with the whitish yellow plastic connector covers breaking off. Just as long as the connector is still on the plug there is no way anything can short out. Even then its only when the plugs have power to them. Mine broke away years ago and I have no issues with the bare connector. As already posted. You can buy and crimp on the bullet connectors or purchase a complete new harness from the many ebay sources...

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this was exactly the case when I first started messin with my truck.
I took some rubber uel line and was able to put them on what little was left of the white plastic.
liquid electrical tape at the top, and it worked great for about a year then I replaced everything

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing really going to happen with the whitish yellow plastic connector covers breaking off. Just as long as the connector is still on the plug there is no way anything can short out. Even then its only when the plugs have power to them. Mine broke away years ago and I have no issues with the bare connector. As already posted. You can buy and crimp on the bullet connectors or purchase a complete new harness from the many ebay sources...

I have posted several times how my glow plug controller will not work reliably and I had to fiddle with the glowplug connections about every two weeks to keep it from short cycling. I am thinking the plastic being gone is contributing to my problem, mine crumbled away also. I am wondering if I am losing tension on the female plug because the plastic is gone, or it's more exposed to the environment making the connection poor. No proof on any of this but I am suspicious that it's related to the plastic missing.

BrianX128

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had one break while doing the same thing this week. I used one of the tips of wire that comes with common fog light kits from Walmart to wire towards the fog lights. It's just a small round piece of metal that's maybe 1/2 long but it's open on both ends and had wire already crimped into it. Opened it just a bit with a Phillips screwdriver and it tapped right on top of the plug and then I just connected and stripped it to the factory wire.

Firedog210

Firedog
Reaction score
Thanks all for the Info. All was very helpful. I went and got some blue crimp on's with the weather proofing. please I thought a little heat shrink to the glow plug will hold it all together. so it don't pop off. Thanks again.

mblaney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have posted several times how my glow plug controller will not work reliably and I had to fiddle with the glowplug connections about every two weeks to keep it from short cycling. I am thinking the plastic being gone is contributing to my problem, mine crumbled away also. I am wondering if I am losing tension on the female plug because the plastic is gone, or it's more exposed to the environment making the connection poor. No proof on any of this but I am suspicious that it's related to the plastic missing.

You can give the brass connector a little squeeze with pliers to tighten them up. Mine are missing all the white plastic and I have no problems.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score

Shawn MacAnanny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The link I posted has pics of both I removed them because they always came loose no matter how I crimped them

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well yeah, that's the "better option."
Mine worked fine. Even transfered the harness I made to another truck.
Gotta make sure you have a good crimper, and know how to use it correctly. (Not saying you don't, just general information)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk