Red Head Group

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Red Head Steering Box Group Buy. Interest?

Anybody think there's a possibility OB could get a big enough group of us cheapskates together to get a group buy going on Redhead steering boxes??

I need/want one and I've particularly seen that FTE has had luck in the past getting them organized. I don't regularly check FTE, but I do here.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Iirc 265 bucks for us folks....but cant recall.

I could be in...ifn I cam get time to port a box

no mufflers

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I too would like a new box. mine leaks a little and I don't really want to put a cheesy reman box from the parts store in.

crabbypaul

Reaction score
I would also like quality steering gear. I have one of those cheesy boxes from Napa that the play can't be adjusted out off

jhenegh

Reaction score
I just called RedHead and got sent some details from them. I'll paste verbatim the info:

"Thank you for your email. To get a group buy going we would need you to choose the days. Typically the group buy lasts three consecutive days (ie; Monday-Wednesday). We like a few weeks heads up once the days are chosen to prepare.

Discount:
The discount is not immediate. The units are purchased at full price. Once the core is sent in we refund the core charge and the discounted amount. To get the discount the person who orders must state at the time of the order that they are part of the group buy. The discount will vary per unit and per number of pieces ordered. Control valves and ram cylinders count toward the number of pieces but their discount will always be $20. Pitman arms and couplers do not count toward the number of pieces and do not get discounted.

5-15 pieces ordered: $20 off of units under $300. $30 off of units over $300.
16-25 pieces ordered: $30 off of units under $300. $40 off of units over $300.
26-35 pieces ordered: $40 off of units under $300. $50 off of units over $300.
36-up pieces ordered: $50 off of units under $300. $60 off of units over $300.

Notes:
-Ford group buys are not just limited to Ford steering gears. Tell your non-Ford friends!!
-Each order receives a free sticker.
-Due to the volume of sales in addition to our regular sales we may need an extra day for shipping."

Part 2757 would fit our 80-97 trucks, and it is listed at $266 on their site today. You can do the math on the possible discounts based on the volume we generate. Surely we could land in the 5-15 group, but 16+ pieces ordered would be nice!

I'll keep tabs on this thread for a few days/week and then I'll probably start a new thread for the "official" buy thread if we've got traction.

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I'm in for one also. How does the core shipping work, I don't have a core to send them until I pull mine.

jhenegh

Reaction score
I'm in for one also. How does the core shipping work, I don't have a core to send them until I pull mine.

You've got 60 days to send your core back in. So there is an upfront $100 core charge that gets refunded. The core is in addition to the initial $266 purchase.

IF we get a group buy set up and say we qualify for a $20 discount/box, you'd get $120 back on your core charge once they get your box back.

What I know about shipping: It looks like it's always $35 to ship the RedHead from WA to wherever you are. They provide the option to receive a prepaid return shipping label for your core for an additional $35 if you desire. BUT, I'm pretty sure a steering box will fit in an $18 USPS flat rate box, so that's my current plan.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, any thoughts on when this would be put into effect?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure yet when I'll be ready to do the swap on my truck, and that may be more than 60 days away at this point (have a LOT of other things going on that need to be addressed first). So, if this happens in the next few days, I'll probably have to sit it out and hope it happens again...but, if we're looking at a few weeks or even a month out, I think I can get on board ;Sweet

I'm wondering...with a Redhead steering gearbox, a Borgeson steering shaft, and with this steering setup for Dana 60 trucks, might it finally be possible to get a genuinely tight steering setup for one of these trucks? ;Sweet

jhenegh

Reaction score
At this point, any thoughts on when this would be put into effect?

I'm interested, but I'm not sure yet when I'll be ready to do the swap on my truck, and that may be more than 60 days away at this point (have a LOT of other things going on that need to be addressed first). So, if this happens in the next few days, I'll probably have to sit it out and hope it happens again...but, if we're looking at a few weeks or even a month out, I think I can get on board ;Sweet

I'm wondering...with a Redhead steering gearbox, a Borgeson steering shaft, and with this steering setup for Dana 60 trucks, might it finally be possible to get a genuinely tight steering setup for one of these trucks? ;Sweet

I was shooting for end of the month/first week of April at the latest.

A Borgeson shaft is on my list too ;Sweet

Now you show me that upgraded steering setup! Spendy, but sure looks like it would do the trick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.