Axle bolts

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anything special about the sterling axle bolts or are grade 8 replacements suitable? Follow-up question. Blue loctite or red?

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you referring to the ring gear? They are grade 8 and and I have used Locktite blue. I seem to remember that there was a locking washer/bracket with the bolts, so no locktite if so.

Dave

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. That seems pretty overkill though. If these bolts didn't look a little rusty where they go through the axle flange I wouldn't worry about it. Google is failing me. Seems like I've seen Russ say something about these bolts but I can't remember what.
@typ4

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Russ recommends new bolts from ford. If I remember correctly. I also thought I read to replace them if they don't torque up Ok. If the torque then it sounded like no issue. I would use blue loctite personally. I rarely to never use red.

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
The E350 Dana 60 full floater hub bolts I think are regarded as better? Say outta a 1999 E350

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Russ recommends new bolts from ford. If I remember correctly. I also thought I read to replace them if they don't torque up Ok. If the torque then it sounded like no issue. I would use blue loctite personally. I rarely to never use red.

Thats true. I have a source I thinc for new place bolts maybe I should supply these too.LOL

FWIW, Dana uses the same bolt.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think I found them. Trying to run down specifics. PN I found seems to be FORF100114

I can't find out if that's for a kit or what though. Asked sellers, waiting on responses.

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@typ4

IIRC the reason the D60 bolts are better for both axle and ring gear is they are a shouldered bolt not a full threaded bolt thus fit the bolt hole in axle even better....or ring gear...

I could be wrong....but ....

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Picture with disc brakes is a 10.25 hub/axle with Dana 60 brakes installed and axle bolts. The bolt heads are bigger.

Picture with drum brakes is a 10.25 hub/axle with the factory brakes and axle bolts. Smaller heads.

I don't have any pics of the bolts out, but they are different at least in this perspective.

Attachments

• discs 4 008.jpg
    discs 4 008.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 29
  • discs 1 009.jpg
    discs 1 009.jpg
    859.6 KB · Views: 26

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So east coast gear sells these as an "upgrade" for Dana 60.

You must be registered for see images attach

$2 a pop. They are approximately grade 9. Available also from McMaster-Carr a bit cheaper.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dieselmainiac

Members online

No members online now.