Progressive IP failure?

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pulling about 7k this morning, with the '85, shifted to second & sudden power loss + lots of top end clatter...smoking like a freight train. Then it eventually evened out & sounded good..shifted to 3 and same thing, power loss, etc.
Headed gasket? IP trying to quit?
Thank y'all for your input & help...again.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you..no air that I could find. The bowl on my lift pump shows no bubbles
My second idea was to change the fuel filter..didn't help.
I'll look for restrictions in the morning.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Do you know how many miles are on the injection pump? The usually fail around 125,000 miles. Some sooner and some later but 125,000 is what we find is about it. Also how many miles are on the injectors? They wear out around the same miles too. Do you have a mecnahical lift pump or an electric after market lift pump.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It ain't head gaskets or the IP. Black smoking tells me you floored after shifting, pulling a 7K load says that too.Is that true? A little clatter can be overfuel, engine kinda lugs til the overfuel clears out, then smooths out.

Did you ever have the IP timed? Must be a new/rebuilt since it's only has 70K on it. Might try and advance the IP about 1/!6" thats about 2 degrees IIRC. Get it timed if there is anyone local who knows what there doing. Not timed by ear, but with timing instruments.

Your injectors are probably OK.

Check this out and see if anyone is close to you. http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?70126-TIMING-SERVICE-REGISTRY

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
when most of my pumps go bad, the fuel mileage is the first indicator by going into the toilet. if you had a 15 mpg truck and it suddenly goes into sub 10mpg, that is a pretty clear indication. hot start issues are next to follow.

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
Being that I am guessing it is manual, and you are letting off between shifts, I would take a wild guess and say advance piston is sticking.....

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could be the advance sticking...it does "feel" like a timing issue..and yes, I was pretty deep in the throttle when the issue occurred.
Thanks again.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplugged the fast idle solenoid...problem solved. But I still don't understand what happened there.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
If the advance piston is sticking try removing the filter and refilling it with atf. Ten run the engine till you hear the sound change. Shut it down and allow it to sit like that overnight. then run it hard the next day to flush out any harmful fuel deposits in the pump and injectors. ATF has great cleaning properties.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unplugged the fast idle solenoid...problem solved. But I still don't understand what happened there.

If the truck was at temp, the fast idle should have been doing nothing. Time to look at the electrical system. The fast idle trips off a coolant temp switch. Maybe the switch is bad or maybe you have something else going on. I'd check to see if you have power on that wire with the truck warm. You shouldn't. If you do, you at a minimum need to check the switch. I believe it should be open when warm to break the circuit. With the truck warm check for continuity across the switch. The other thing to look at is if your fast idle solenoid is working, closing that switch should kick it up into fast idle too I think.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, the problem isn't solved! Same scenario today with no load + idle was all over the place intermittently.
Icanfixall, I did fill the new filter w/ ATF when I changed it, at the onset of the symptoms...didn't let it set overnight that way though.
That being said, reckon I should do it again? I use Lucas Oil in every tank.

Kizer

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OldBul8 & Towcat, My MPG seems stable, and the pump & injectors were (purportedly) replaced by PO.
It just happened again! The truck runs / sounds good, then all of the sudden clatter, smoke & no power. Had been running @ 207* - 20*9 for 20 min when it happened this time.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
This is how I figured out my fuel pump gave up on me when I had the stock mechanical pump, luckily it didn't fill my crank case with diesel but this was annoying at the time. It would jump and buck just about out from under me, then smooth out, it was like the pump couldn't handle the surge of fuel needed and just gave up momentarily. I'm not saying for sure this is your issue but it was mine. I replaced the air filter first along with a few other odd and ends then finally tried the fuel pump. Fixed it.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online