clutch fail 250mls from home

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Already posted in the 911 forum. I have no clutch pedal. Goes all the way to the floor but will not actuate the MC pushrod. Clutch was recently replaced and also did the pushrod upgrade

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty darn vague description of what you have checked and done.

Use search then...you will ha e an idea what to do..

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Thank you. That was very helpful.

I understand the frustration this can cause and how easy it is to forget details.

Clutch was serviced. Replaced? Did you lose any fluid? Did you check the fluid? Did you crawl under the truck and observe the slave cylinder/clutch fork while someone pressed on the pedal? Did then take off the inspection plate on the bellhousing and see if anything was not as it should be?

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Already posted in the 911 forum. I have no clutch pedal. Goes all the way to the floor but will not actuate the MC pushrod. Clutch was recently replaced and also did the pushrod upgrade

Thank you. That was very helpful.

Pretty much as much help as your original post was to diagnose what is going on.

Asking for help with no significant input gets a likewise response.

How about explainjng in detail what you mean by pushrod modification....pretty vage...how about explainjng what clutch or maybe what transmission. How about explaining in detail what you have done while this problem occurred?

I am nor should anyone else have to coax information out of you.

wiguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty much as much help as your original post was to diagnose what is going on.

Asking for help with no significant input gets a likewise response.

How about explainjng in detail what you mean by pushrod modification....pretty vage...how about explainjng what clutch or maybe what transmission. How about explaining in detail what you have done while this problem occurred?

I am nor should anyone else have to coax information out of you.

i think he wants you to drop everything, drive to his location and fix the truck. or possibly he thinks we all have ESP!

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'm 250mls from home trying to type on a cell phone with hands like shovels and fingers as big as brats. The tranny is 4 special bw. Fluid is fine with no visible leaks. Clutch was replaced a month ago. I did the heim joint upgrade to the pushrod as it was badly worn at the same time as the clutch. When I checked the linkage at the pedal assembly the pivot bolt was loose so I tightened it. When I press on the pedal the pushrod meets resistance and the pedal sticks half way down. When I pull it up, it loosens the pivot bolt. If I tighten the bolt again the same thing happens. I have a limited supply of tools on hand

Diesile

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he is 250 miles from home and as crash-harris said.
oworm, give the folks here a few more details.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, as I am alone I have no one to assist in diagnosis. All I know is that when I get that pivot bolt good and tight, the pedal sticks half way down because the pushrod is meeting resistance

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well u cqn type about thumbs and brats just fine.

Did you replace throw out bearing when you changeed clutch...details man all the details and no excuses....

It would seem that you need to place phone UNDER TRUCK AND VIDEO clutch slqve and fork..what goes on when you are in truck pressing the pedal.

See if anything happens..

Not sure *** u did or how you did heim joint hut so7nds kinda bizzare so far pics help...add them in advanced reply window only btw

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry guys. I'm 250mls from home trying to type on a cell phone with hands like shovels and fingers as big as brats. The tranny is 4 special bw. Fluid is fine with no visible leaks. Clutch was replaced a month ago. I did the heim joint upgrade to the pushrod as it was badly worn at the same time as the clutch. When I checked the linkage at the pedal assembly the pivot bolt was loose so I tightened it. When I press on the pedal the pushrod meets resistance and the pedal sticks half way down. When I pull it up, it loosens the pivot bolt. If I tighten the bolt again the same thing happens. I have a limited supply of tools on hand
Which pivot bolt is loosening on you, the one for the heim joint or the one that holds the lever to the pedal shaft? A loose bolt for the heim joint will still actuate the master cylinder, not completely when you floor the pedal but with a good clutch you only need half-travel anyways so it should be enough to make the clutch disengage. If the lever gets loose on the pedal shaft tho, if it's keyed and the bolt just backed out enough to allow the lever to slip off its proper location you could try disconnecting the heim joint from said lever and then wiggling the lever till it gets back on the keyed shaft then tighten its retaining bolt, afterwards hook your MC pushrod back to the lever and you should be good. If the lever was welded onto the shaft from the factory and somehow the weld broke, not much of anything you can do about that.

Also, it's a 4-speed T19, float her home! Not ideal but she can take it, just be somewhat gentle. Start the truck in 1st gear, get the engine speed up, then back off the throttle a little so engine is neither pulling the truck nor slowing it down, and pull the shifter into 2nd. Repeat all the way into 4th. Downshifting can be a bit tricky, as when you let off the throttle and push the shifter out of gear you will be in neutral, so you'll have to revv the engine up slightly to get the countershaft spinning faster then you push on the shifter again and she'll get into the lower gear. Takes a bit of practice, and the gears will grind some, but as long as you're not too forceful you'll do alright.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
It's a hard lesson that way, but learning to shift like you have no synchros, or clutch for this matter, is not a bad skill to learn. You'll find the optimum engine speed for shifting to be gentle on any transmission, if ever need be, right quick.

oworm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback and help. I didn't do the clutch myself so I don't know if the thrust bearing was done. I actually know decent shop in this location so I will float it there on monday. Meanwhile I'm enjoying a bud and celebrating with my American brothers in arms in achieving something we Scots couldn't do. Getting rid of the English!