Fsv gage wire

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Can someone help me here? Which wire is for the gage? My URL gage doesn't work. I believe it's wiring back here. Doesn't work on either tank.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
If I turn the key on the gage moves a little. Doesn't matter which tank it's on. There's about half a tank in the rear. Front is empty

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the circuit for FSV.

Attachments

• Scan.BMP.jpg
    Scan.BMP.jpg
    856.1 KB · Views: 73

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks old bull

What's the cvr on the other side of the gage ?

Is there an ohm or voltage range I should see on the fsv ? I assume it's supplying negative signal to the gage ?

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Guess I need to figure out which wire is number one. I assuming it's the first yellow wire.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
Ok. It appears that red is number one and orange is number 2.
Second yellow goes to the gage. I have no negative on the First yellow or on the green.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the gauge just measures resistance. Looking at the diagram, it's a variable resistor to ground for the sender. Try measuring resistance instead of voltage.

NTOLERANCE

I'm the cotton swab
Reaction score
I think both floats are sunk. I can by pass the senders and five the gage full negative and it goes to the top. The gage doesn't measure resistance. It's a volt meter - 12volt pos on one terminal and a varied negative voltage on the other terminal based on the position of the float. Considering my negative voltage coming in from both senders is very low I'm assuming both floats have sunk

opusd2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the gauges peg out on the full side, it's usually a bad ground.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the circuit for FSV.

any way we can get you to post a pic of the other side of the diagram?
i am deleting the front tank in my truck, and i want to wire it up to only read the rear tank with the FSV deleted.

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To the OP, you don't indicate what year truck, and your profile only references a van. I found an old post referencing a "slantnose"; so you have an '80-'86? If so, '85 EVTM diagram is here: http://userpages.chorus.net/elephant/FuelTankSelector1985.pdf . Terminal 4 goes to the gauge head, terminal 3 goes to the front sender, terminal 5 goes to the rear sender. For the gauge, the selector is a simple double throw switch that either connects 3 and 4, or 4 and 5, depending on which tank's valves are open.

The gauge head reads both voltage and resistance, since the two are inverses of one another in this case. But it's useless to think of it that way. Better to test each component in isolation. To test the front sender, put an ohmmeter between terminal 3 and ground. Should read somewhere between 8 (full) and 85 (empty) ohms. If it reads open (infinite resistance or "OL"), then there's an open in the circuit to the sender, or the sender isn't grounded. Same for the rear sender, except ohm between terminal 5 and ground. To test the gauge head, jumper terminal 4 to ground. Needle should peg past Full. If not, gauge head is faulty, or fuse, or open in that circuit.

To IDIoit, I always forget whether the "logic" of the bricknose is the same as the slantnose (high resistance empty), or "flipped" like the OBS (high resistance full). EVTM diagram for '95 is here: http://userpages.chorus.net/elephant/FuelTankSelector.pdf . Terminal numbers change, but their relative position is the same, and wire colors for the sending units / gauge are the same, so they're probably the same for the bricknose. So to read just the rear sender, put a jumper wire between the "last" (yellow/light-blue) and "second last" (yellow/white) terminals on the connector.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's the cvr on the other side of the gage ?

CVR is "Constant Voltage Regulator". I don't know what the voltage is, never measured it. But nwould think it would be something below the battery 12.6 volts.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
To IDIoit, I always forget whether the "logic" of the bricknose is the same as the slantnose (high resistance empty), or "flipped" like the OBS (high resistance full)

If I remember right, the Slantnose 80-86 are the only "backwards" logic in the fuel gauges. The Brick 87 on (Including the Excursion tanks, since Greg50 is using an Excursion tank and sender in his 91 project) and the logic matches.......

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CVR is "Constant Voltage Regulator". I don't know what the voltage is, never measured it. But nwould think it would be something below the battery 12.6 volts.
I could be remembering wrong, but I want to say the CVR puts out 5 volts to the gauges. Also, I think the CVR was eliminated on '87 and newer F-series trucks...however, I have a feeling that the CVR stuck around on the E-series vans until '91. And, for that matter, '87-'91 vans probably have the same resistance fuel sending units that the '80-'86 trucks have (although the senders aren't interchangeable since vans have different tanks), considering that the E-series van used the same instrument cluster from 1975 to '91.

FWIW...also, the CVR can and does fail and is replaceable. The problem is that finding a replacement isn't easy...I've been looking for one, and RockAuto had one listed but says the part isn't available, and I get blank stares from the McParts counter people whenever I ask :rolleyes: If anyone comes across available new replacements, please let me know!