odc with u-joint angles

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I may be a little obsessed with my u- joint angles. Ever since I installed the gear vendors the drive line has never been quite as smooth as the original. Not bad but just not as smooth. Finally got the vibration almost to zero just a slight tingle in the feet, to achieve this I shimmed the front and middle u-joint to tenth of a degree. My rearend is off a whopping 1.5 degrees off and pointed up not down in relation to the driveshaft. Not wanting to spend 40 dollars on shims, I started looking at my mill. Mill vice is to small to hold 3" stock. Plan b make jig to slice 3/8" flat iron on the band saw. The plus with the bandsaw is I am not wasting half the steel with the mill in the form of chips, and it is cheaper and faster to operate.
Here's the results.

You must be registered for see images attach

angle is 1.5 degrees and the height is within .030" of the two. Should be close enough.

Angle finder and a little homemade tool to attach angle finder onto cap of the u-joint
The slot is to clear the locating tab on the yokes. Only way I have found to take consistent and accurate measurements without pulling the drive shaft.

Now drill a hole and find ambition to install them.

Attachments

• DSCI0485.jpg
    157 bytes · Views: 35
  • gauge1.JPG
    gauge1.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 5
  • guage2.JPG
    guage2.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 4
  • shimpair.JPG
    shimpair.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 4
  • shimsingle.JPG
    shimsingle.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 5

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When the front shaft was cut down was that done a a good driceshaft shop and balanced. Also they need to be timed for great running balance. My crewcab runs just as smooth after the cut down shaft and installation of the gear vendors.

hce

So can i....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the front shaft was cut down was that done a a good driceshaft shop and balanced. Also they need to be timed for great running balance. My crewcab runs just as smooth after the cut down shaft and installation of the gear vendors.

Had a complete driveshaft built and both shafts balanced together, measured runout, replaced joints and rebalanced again. I played with the angles some before, but was really just wasting time without that little tool. Most would of left it and been happy, I'm a little obsessive about vibrations. There a better word then obsessive but I keep this G rated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Staff online