Manual fuel tank selector valve questions

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With some helpful insight from some of yall on here, i quickly learned my FSV **** the bed. Now. So I can avoid missing too much work, i'm weighing out options. And am interested in learning about this manual valve set up. If done, how do I make the fuel gauge work? Magic?

edit: also what size brass fittings do I need to connect the lines?

Last edited:

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what i picked out so far:

2 brass three way valve 1/4npt
6 brass elbows
6 brass barbs with 5/16 ID
25ft of diesel rated hose (~5ft per line from tank, 2 lines per tank, then some spare for the to engine/from engine)

yay, nay? Thoughts are chop the oem FSV off, run the lines to under the drivers seat using the hose, connect to proper valves, and voila, drive my friggn truck again. Sound good?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Last edited:

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Wouldn't the gauges work like normal if the wiring is not messed with?
Yes, it could be left in place. But the gauge switching is done in the tank selector switch, IIRC. So just hook the gauge wires from the switch to the wires coming from the tanks, and viola. I think.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't the gauges work like normal if the wiring is not messed with?

Negative, there is no physical connection between the senders and the switch in the dash - it's the tank selector that moves the contacts to choose which of the sender gets connected to the gauge. That said, there's nothing stopping a determined person from hooking them up to the factory switch, it's just quite a bit messy to explain how to do it, cause the switch has two wires that loop on the back of its connector. Instead I suggest extending the senders an gauge wires into the cab, and using a simple SPDT (3-pole) On-On (no middle off position) switch to do the gauge switching between senders. Running off brick wire colors, you want the yellow/white (gauge) wire from the TSV on the middle pole of your new switch, and the darkblue/yellow (front sender) and yellow/lightblue (rear sender) wires from TSV on the two end poles of the switch. Fill up one tank to the top, keep the other tanks at half, and try the switch: if the gauge shows the wrong tank for the position of the switch just flip the two sender wires around on the switch poles (gauge wire always stays in the middle tho), and if one of your tanks reads empty then you have a loose connection between switch and respective tank sender.

As for the factory switch, you can just unplug it from the dash harness and leave it be, or you can use it to power something you put in the bed, or you can just replace your heater controls w/ one for a Bronco and do away w/ switch altogether.

So just hook the gauge wires from the switch to the wires coming from the tanks, and viola. I think.
Negative, there is only one gauge wire but two sender wires. A switch is needed to connect them properly, unless one wants to add a second fuel gauge. The factory switch is not connected to the gauge or the senders, you can either make the connections yourself (not quite as easy as you think) or run a separate switch.

Last edited:

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't read a single thread. I just look at wiring diagrams. Some people see a mess of lines there, I see transparent pipes w/ colored fluids running thru them. I hate wiring work, but I can still 3D visualize how circuits work quite easy.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Well that's probably my problem. I've read different threads that have differing information.

I'm more hands on for electrical work. I can understand it better when I'm actually looking at it or a diagram vs reading what people are trying to explain.

One question on doing it with a switch like you explained:
Since the senders work off resistance, would extending the wires to the cab adversely affect the readings? Or would it be a negligible difference?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brick and OBS senders run around 20 ohms when full and like 150 ohms when tank goes empty, so a few extra ohms are not really an issue there. Don't recall what the bulls run, but if added resistance is a concern just use larger wire - I'd think 14awg should be sufficient to not adversely affect a circuit than runs on 5V and very little current.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what i picked out so far:

2 brass three way valve 1/4npt
6 brass elbows
6 brass barbs with 5/16 ID
25ft of diesel rated hose (~5ft per line from tank, 2 lines per tank, then some spare for the to engine/from engine)

yay, nay? Thoughts are chop the oem FSV off, run the lines to under the drivers seat using the hose, connect to proper valves, and voila, drive my friggn truck again. Sound good?

Just noticed this - you will need 3 of the 5/16" barbs but also 3 in the 3/8" flavor. Your returns are 5/16", but engine supply is 3/8". The 1/4" NPT valve should be at least 3/8" inside thru the ball, but check just in case. If no internal size is given go by flowrate - factory lift pump moves around 30gph IIRC, so anything over that should be fine. Where are you getting these from, Grainger?

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, i was hoping someone would double check the sizes for me. That's what I was most concerned about. Im gonna hop back on that website and see if they have the sizes you mentioned

warhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
any idea where i could possibly find the parts locally? i'm drawing a blank here.

Thefarmboy21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Local mom and pop hardware, fastenal, maybe Grainger as stated above, a farm equipment dealer.....eBay lol. Probably more places have them than you'd might imagine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle