Reaction score
...Ford drops common parts from their inventory ;Really

Not even Upper/Lower Ball Joints :rolleyes:
OE's lasted 24 years ;Sweet

Moog replacements =$$$ but they have grease zerts :sly

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.E. was Spicer, why not replace with that and get another 24 years?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
O.E. was Spicer, why not replace with that and get another 24 years?

"Spicer"...I had no idea they made them for Ford.
Not sure (if) my parts house (I get a shop discount at) carries Spicer, health wise I can't install them (local shop's doing that $$$)

HmmmI wonder if Spicer would be cheaper?

Fordsandguns

Fords Rule
Reaction score
Having a shop do the work it might save you a few bucks but it's still going to be $$$. If you were closer I'd be happy to do them for you a lot cheaper than the shop.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a shop do the work it might save you a few bucks but it's still going to be $$$. If you were closer I'd be happy to do them for you a lot cheaper than the shop.
Thanks for that offer...before I became sick I would just dig out the cardboard to sit on and have at it 'outside' on my concrete pad.
My mechanic said the job paid X-amount of hours, he is knocking off an hour.
He showed me the play in the lower joint, 1/2" at the tire's edge.
When it comes to safety I don't play around...even though the truck sits a LOT >I need it done for state inspection (that expired) Feb.

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not too late, give the guys at XRF chassis a call. IF there's not a distributor close, they'll ship you a set. Much better quality than moog. Oh, and cheaper. I've installed a set in a couple of trucks now. I'm totally sold.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not too late, give the guys at XRF chassis a call. IF there's not a distributor close, they'll ship you a set. Much better quality than moog. Oh, and cheaper. I've installed a set in a couple of trucks now. I'm totally sold.

Cheaper and better sounds great but, no time, need them for Wednesday morning and all that's available local is Moog or Pep Boys stuff.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, dana 50 front axle, dana is Spicer. And yes they probly are cheaper.

If it was me, Id opt for the cheaper line over Moog, Im not a fan of Moog or their prices. But the choice is yours, it will be years before you will likely be under there again regardless the choice.

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
I installed Moog in my dads truck and my 93 and they seemed to be OK...just be sure they are the problem solvers and not the base model. My friend used the base model ones and we cut one open, not to impressed with what i seen. I seen a cut away of the problem solver and it was built 10x better.

Next time around im gunna try those XRF parts. Do they make tie rods and drag links also? Another thought is to see if there is a Federated Auto parts house close, the one closest to me (about 35 minutes away) carries Spicer parts.

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Antique plates

You know your truck is old when the registry office asks you if you want antique plates. :eek: :D I declined. It's not a parade vehicle. LOL

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ouch...purchased 4 Moog ball joints $218.00 :eek:

4 Spicer/Raybestos (red box foreign made) all 4 $70.00

4 XRF $100.00 (foreign made) no one local has them

The Moog price difference just boggles my medicated mind cookoo:***:

Last edited:

TWeatherford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a water pump for mine from International. The parts guy claimed that it is now discontinued, and that I got one of the last 5. So they may be a Ford dealership only item by now.