OPINIONS!!!! Front end steering components.

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
Well, today I had to put my repaired tire back on, as I caught a flat yesterday. I decided while I had a chance I would check my ball joints and steering.....good thing.

I got one bad ball joint and one bad tie rod end. They ain't BAD, but they have a very little slop in them....just enough to say they are shot. Around here, that's enough to condem her and have it towed on site!

What do you guys think of this?

I priced it around here and this is what I came up with..

Upper Ball Joint

Regular Duty $41.81 each - x2 + tax----> $96.16
Heavy Duty $46.28 each - x2 + tax----> $106.44

Lower Ball Joint

Regular Duty $69.19 each - x2 + tax----> $159.14
Heavy Duty $70.40 x2 each - + tax----> $161.92

Tie Rod End

Regular Duty $97.00 + tax ----> $111.55
Economy $50.00 + tax ----> $57.50

Totals for 2 upper, 2 lower and one tie rod end

Regular Duty -----> $366.85 :puke:

Heavy Duty -----> $379.91 :eek:

The totals are total...out the door with taxes....pretty expensive. Plus I don't have a new tie rod, drag link and I would still have one tie rod (on the steering box) not replaced.

Then I came across this....What do you guys think? $263.36. delivered to my door, and it's ALL new parts.

I got all new bearings, seals and cups here already. If I am going to do this, I am doing it ONCE! Good deal or no? I figgured with all these parts installed, I can't go wrong.

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
I got a setup like that from world suspension for My B2000.

All's I can say is, You get what You pay for. The tie rod boots are cracked after 16 mo's/10K miles.

Stick with Moog, and get 60 K++ miles outta them

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
Best I found was Moog from Rock Auto. Expensive to be sure, but it's your life you're steering.

x2 just got everything for my truck from them 2 weeks a go. less than 400 for 4 ball joints and all 4 tire rod ends shipped to my door. everything was moog

phazertwo

Die Summer DIE!
Reaction score
I got a setup like that from world suspension for My B2000.

All's I can say is, You get what You pay for. The tie rod boots are cracked after 16 mo's/10K miles.

Stick with Moog, and get 60 K++ miles outta them

I have seen moogs crack that fast. Just depends on driving conditions.

PZ

Goofyexponent

Mentally Unstable..
Reaction score
I wish I could get my hands on a tie rod end for $25!!!!! I broke down and ordered it. My price of $249.99 USD for EVERYTHING when my parts store wanted almost $400......I will try it, I usually grease the front end of my truck once a week...usually a shot or so in each fitting, so I expect that these will last a couple of years. I bought a set from these guys before and AFAIK they are still in that vehicle.

As I mention all the time, my truck is a commuter only. I haul the odd trailer, but when I do it's usually HEAVY!

I do appriciate the opinions, and I hope it don't come back to nip me in the @$$ like the Bosch glow plug incident when I should have listened lol.....I know, I know...still wet behind the ears...I hear yas!

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
I got what they were calling I think general service duty from Rock Auto, made by Spicer, which are basically stockers, and replaced the entire steering linkage setup, adjustment sleeves and all and saved a minor fortune. It's all been on there a few years now and it's all in great shape . I tow very heavy and drive on a lot of dirt roads around home

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
i used a kit from that ebay seller and the other one who has similiar kits and havent had any issues yet. while the parts arent name brand (i think its OEM brand), it'll do the job for me for now. i havent had any issues with shipping or service from either. whll the parts last? who knows but i dont drive either truck enough to justify spending 3x the amount on MOOG or TRW.

65sixbanger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dont go cheap on this!!! My drivers side tie rod snapped when I was driving over a speed bump at school, not fun with 500 other highschoolers that dont know how to drive behind me honking!! Had to back it into a spot and wait for the parts to come in, so it sat at school for a few nights. I was about to hook up to a trailer and drive down the highway before it happened.

Garbage_Mechan

Garbage Mechanic
Reaction score
"Our parts are brand new, OE BRAND (chassis parts) and ProQuality (wheel hubs), original quality chassis parts, aftermarket replacements from China, and come with a one-year warranty. These parts are made for stock specifications and are not meant for use on modified vehicles."

(From ebay listing)

I HAVE A HARD TIME TRUSTING MY LIFE TO MADE TO SELL ON PRICE POINT PARTS THAT LITERALLY HAVE YOU LIFE ON THE LINE. AND I DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT CHINA!

XRF, Spicer. MOOG but not chinese junk.

White Trash

IDI noob
Reaction score
My steering stuff is all getting just a little bit lose so I'm in the same boat with replacing it all at once. I'm cheating though, I have all the heims, DOM tubing and weld in sleeves to replace all the stock stuff. :D I'll be installing a hi steer arm on the passenger side and running the drag link to the bottom side so the angles are good with no lift.

jhnlennon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
[I HAVE A HARD TIME TRUSTING MY LIFE TO MADE TO SELL ON PRICE POINT PARTS THAT LITERALLY HAVE YOU LIFE ON THE LINE. AND I DON'T WANT TO SUPPORT CHINA!

XRF, Spicer. MOOG but not chinese junk.[/QUOTE]

Alot of spicer, moog stuff is made in china or mexico, cant trust the names anymore, check the box. For the price moog wants, might as well buy OEM.

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I am a fan of Moog problem solver parts. Never had any issuses with them. And I have replace ALOT of front end components. The life time warranty does not hurt either:D