CHRA Compatibility?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Ats 093 turbo in my 87 dually took a major dump as expected. When I first realized it was going out the damage to the impeller was already done. Money is tight but I have an incomplete 088. Can I switch the 088 chra into the 093 exhaust housing and be driveable again?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got any pictures of the 088 center section?

No pictures. The center itself is the same but I read on this board a while back that the exhaust impeller is a different size. So to refine my question more, do I have enough clearance to run the 088 impellers in the 093 housings? Since I have to park the truck on the street it would be very bad for me to take it apart then find I can't interchange the chra and have the cops watching a dead truck.

ghunt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wish I knew more about the 088 turbo to be able to tell you more but I don't. But, I thought the 088 was exactly the same aside from not having a wastegated turbine housing.

Guess it depends on whether or not the 088 was actually a T4 and not a T3/T4. It might be. Your best bet is to find the dimensions of a T3 Stage III wheel on google or somewhere- find the "Major" diameter (largest diameter of the wheel), and get the best measurement you can on the 088's turbine wheel. If it's not the same, it won't work.

THECACKLER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to Bernie (x109) at ATS this morning, and while I had him on the line, I asked about possible 093 / 088 interchange. He stated that they were completely different and with the exception of possibly some o-rings, probably nothing would swap between the two.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My gut feeling would be you might be asking for worse trouble. Typ4 might know the answer to this question though he's our resident turbo expert. I wouldn't expect much help from ATS, even if you did get somebody to talk with you about it, they made these so long ago and quit supporting them a few years back...company has changed hands... What do you have of the 088? It might be possible to throw that on with a little redneck engineering and sell what's left of the 093 kit or sell what you have of the 088 and use what you sell to buy a new center cartridge and turbo kit(bearings/seals) from Typ 4? I know you can use the downpipe from the 093 and 088 interchangeably as long as it is a true ATS 093 or upgraded Ford version I don't know about the up pipe. The airboxes are totally different but the cold side fittings and orings might be the same such that you could swap them. Most importantly what killed the 093? Bad filtration, age, oil starvation? Cold side leaks?

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I know so far. The center housing that holds the bearings and the turbine shaft fits through is the same. The pedestal looks the same. The turbine housings are different between the 088 and 093. I cannot find the a/r on either but the 093 is still on the truck. The compressor housing on the 088 is ats and has no a/r markings on it. The 093 compressor housing is Garrett with .70 a/r. All I'm worried about is if the 088 turbine shaft will fit in the 093 turbine housing and spin freely.
On a side note I also have a early Banks unit made by Roto-Master which is Garrett nowadays. Compressor turbine housing a/r is .60 and exhaust housing is a/r 1.00

Devilish

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Found this about the 093 but don't know of the accuracy of the info.
A/R ..70/.82
Compressor wheel dia.: inducer 2.30" exducer 2.75" (to4b-h)
Turbine wheel dia.: 2.5"
Compressor inlet: 2.5"
Turbine outlet: 2.4"
Standard T3 flange
Standard T4 backplate