Onboard air- pressure shutoff switch?

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, always wanted to do onboard air, I'm spoiled by a 60 gal compressor at and tired of going to friends houses to work on something and they don't have a compressor of any kind.

My plan is to use two old propane tanks for air tanks, they fit perfectly under the bed one on either side. My ultimate plan is to use a york compressor off the engine but until then I have a small thomas 12V compressor to get me going. I know it will be slow but it will work for now.

My question is, what have you guys used for a pressure shutoff and where can I find one? The pump will do 100psi, I somehow would like to make it turn on at 90psi and off at 95psi without having to monitor it.

Anyone done it?

Thanks,

-Rob

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine uses one from the plumbing section of the hardware store. Like the kind you would have on your bladder tank comming from your well. They are made for 110V, but will work fine for anything less and have some range of adjustment.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a controller off your typical garage air compressor. I got one from a junkyard.........the tank had something fall on it and I just cut the controller off and used it to turn the clutch on/off on my York. It turns on at 80 psi and off at 125. I don't know how others have done but that's the way mine is set up.

Heath

Last edited:

sassyrel

Reaction score
get the one that goes on a reg air comp--85-125---and like said--itll stand 12v--

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, my compressor only goes to 100psi so I'll need something I can regulate to shut off below that. The plumbing one sounds promising, any idea how much it cost? I'll look tomorrow at HD and lowes.

Thanks,

-Rob

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best bet is go to the store and buy a lowrider magizane. there are a lot of different companies that do a lot of air ride and that would do want you want. you can also google "air ride suspensions" also you can go to "airbagit.com" they got one new adjustable switch from 0-200 psi for like 19 bucks "air-con-5h" is the part number. also i even found you an air compressor on there for 99 bucks. brand new "com-driveline", so much stuff on there for great prices you wont believe it. when i build onboard air i will prob be calling them.

diesel4me2

Camping is more importanter!
Reaction score
if your serious about going with an air system, i would stay away from air-baggit or any of the chaise tech companies. unless you are fully prepared to fabricate the entire system from 15 different boxes full of parts with no identification, no instructions, no anything, not even a picture. i had to cut, modify, and weld every part in my kit, granted, it was the prototype for my year of truck at that time. some on here have seen it, i do like it, but there entire air system is ... for lack of a better word....cheap. i will have to disassemble it in its entirety prior to the rally in jully and buy everything new from mcmaster carr or grainger and rebuild it. the pressure switch, check valve, and quick connects either froze up or cracked on me this winter. the solenoid valves froze open, then closed, the air bags started leaking, the new bags shipped with metal chips inside from manufacturing them. when i first installed the compressor, the power cable burnt in half -cuss. they only used 8 gauge cable. i had to rewire it with 4..... i could go on and on. i personally would see what they have for a set up, then go to some where else and piece it together.

just my 2cents

chris

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I should be good, onboard air is pretty stinking simple so I'll be making it all myself out of crap I mostly have already. Buying a kit is no fun for me, I have fun designing a better one for cheaper. Thanks for the heads up about airbaggit.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
really? ive installed three of there kits and never had a problem. the kits i used have 1/2 lines and will even hop. not like hydros but they will get the tire off the ground. i have installed them on other peoples car and 2 trucks and they never told me about any problems. well one guy had a problem with a compressor, it was to small for the job(and i told him that) but other then that, no problems.

sootman73

Reaction score
hey heath do you have any pictures of your setup? i have an old bus AC pump with an electric clutch that works very well but i cant find fittings for it and i dont really want to weld on the top plate. i want to know how you mounted yours and maybe i can copy it...

Classicfordguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I checked at Home Depot and they had one of the well pressure switches pretty cheap so I grabbed one. It is rated as a 40psi on 60psi off but sais it can be adjusted by tightening down a nut that preloads a spring. Think it I can turn it all the way up to 80-100 or do I have the wrong thing?

-Rob

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hey heath do you have any pictures of your setup? i have an old bus AC pump with an electric clutch that works very well but i cant find fittings for it and i dont really want to weld on the top plate. i want to know how you mounted yours and maybe i can copy it...

Yup. Got several. Have a look and see what you think.

You must be registered for see images

Heath

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can probably get it to go that high. I think mine is jacked up pretty good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle