Register to remove these ads

Thread: 2WD e4od to 4WD??????

Thanks

Default 2WD e4od to 4WD??????

what does it take to convert a 2wd E4OD into a 4WD?my super duty needs a 4WD tranny.but may be able to get my hands on a 2wd tranny.
    Rich

Pictures:
    http://s1285.photobucket.com/albums/a590/f450sprdty

: Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then, will you find money can't be eaten.
    95 F350 XLT,CC,DRW.gone but not forgotten

1982 pontiac grand prix LJ.pontiac V8 transplant in the future.

Goin back to my roots.gas motors and pontiacs!

Thanks

If it is like the C6, the answer is A LOT. You'd need a new case, and a new main shaft just for starters.
    Owner, Conestoga Diesel Injection Our family - The Moose Truck - 1983 F-250HD, The Lady Moose - 1993 F-350 CC dually, The Moosestang - 1987 Bronco (1994 7.3L IDI), The Night Moose - 1995 F-150 (1984 6.9L IDI), The Iron Moose - 1986 F-250 EC, The Moose Wagon - 2002 Excursion, The Moose GT - 2008 Mustang GT 4.6L, The Moose Lodge - 1994 Wilderness 195R Serving the IDI community since 1997! Visit http://MoosePump.com or https://www.facebook.com/ConestogaDiesel

- Mel

Thanks

Tailshaft should be the only part different (shorter). Problem is the tailshaft is the first part in, and the last part out so it requires complete trans disassembly to change out.

I did the job once on a GM 700R4, took me maybe 3 hours. You may need a couple special tools for the E4OD. I'd buy a new 4wd tailshaft, saves dis-assembling the whole bad trans just to get the one part out of it.
    1985 International rollback, 6.9L 5 speed

owner, Patriot Automotive Services, N Ridgeville

Thanks

Mr Roboto got it.

You will need a spring compressor and the clutch remover/installer tool.
    01 Ford F250 XLT 4x4 Darkhighland Green, 7.3L, Auto Trans, 373 LS,Di Pricol Optix gauges, Dura Lite Air Cleaner,CCV mod, Fleetguard coolant filter,Oil Guard bypass filter,MBRP Muffler deleted,XM Satilite radio. Needs more stuff! 6.0 Charge cooler,Fuel system stuff,ECT.

85 Ford F250 XL Rusty,6.9L,Auto Trans, Fairmont 307 Hy-Rail Conversion, Holley Red Fuel Pump,Racor 690 water Separator, Stahl Univeral Fuel Fillers,Hydro Boost Brakes, Coming soon Studs, turbo, and a 4R100.

90 Ford F350 XLT 4x4 Brick Red 7.3L,Far from stock DIY E4OD X4TC Torque Converter.Facet Duralift fuel pump,Walker 21470 muffler with some SD parts tossed in, CumminGs power enhancement and a PCS brain coming soon.

08 Arctic Cat 700 Diesel Super Duty 4X4.Smoke screws adjusted. (The yard goat)

This space intentionally left blank

Thanks

damn you had to tell me this.i was hopeing i could do it easily to save some cash that i dont have and get my truck to work so i could afford to have rebuilt one put in it.
    Rich

Pictures:

: Only after the last tree has been cut down, Only after the last river has been poisoned, Only after the last fish has been caught, Only then, will you find money can't be eaten.

Thanks

Another option is to change over the driveshaft to a slip yoke end and use the 2wd trans. You'd lose the parking brake but do you have a Mico brake?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Roboto View Post
    Another option is to change over the driveshaft to a slip yoke end and use the 2wd trans. You'd lose the parking brake but do you have a Mico brake?
    really bad idea for rollbacks. too much weight and wiggling going on when moving the deck around. but that's just my opinion though
    when you are working the controls you don't notice it, but try sitting in the passenger seat with the deck in operation

Thanks

i dont use the paeking brake anyways.but i need it if i got stopped by DOT.they wont accept the mico lock for a parking brake.
    Rich

Pictures:

Thanks

I agree that the parking brake "should" be there, I was just giving some options to get your truck back on the road.

That's one reason I like having the Medium Duty truck, the parts are a lot more durable since I'm at the bottom of the design range rather than at the top as with an F450.

Thanks

well the problem with year/type of truck is i showed up with an old donkey to some of my customers(wich i dont have many as it is)they would laugh me out of thier place and call the next guy.even though my truck is a 94 its still accepted cuz it looks like a 97 wich isnt all that old.but i also got near 5 years and 100,000 miles out of this tranny.

but at the same time i guess i could try to fix the hacked mess i call an ATS upgrade and fix the leaks in it.if i convert to a zf i can also get rid of the junk belt driven PTO.
    Rich

Pictures: