Hauling 5th wheels

Leviathan

Reaction score
Even if you just get one of those high school on steroids degrees, it's better than nothing, What the heck do they call that one...liberal arts? Believe it or not that degree is actually worth something. Business looking for entry level people will accept that as well as any other degree,and what's funny as heck is if you find something that really turns you on along the line later, you can use that BA as a launchpad and go on and get a masters in just about anything else , it's really nuts the way the system is set up. You could basically screw off for 4 years , to get the BA, then put your nose to the grindstone for 2 to get the MA cookoo

Yehp, that's what my parents stuck me in cause they didn't want to waste the money we spent on this place. I think it was something like 14k for the semester? I'll have to check the bill. But yeah, I'm not complaining. I have three 1 hour classes on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and only 1 class on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Most of the stuff I already know because my high school just happens to be one of the best in the state as far as public schools are concerned. I can pretty much go anywhere from here and get a bachelors within 6 semesters instead of 8. Only problem is deciding what i want to do.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of those RV transport companies have age limit's upper and lower for there insurance, also they have to approve the truck that you would be using to haul. It's hell driving in the winter in the Northern States, Canada and Alaska.

rjjp

Needs to go test
Reaction score
Leviathan,
Stick with it, get the license. I have an acquaintance that still ******* that he didn't get his A&P because he got kicked out. I've finished the classes and just need to go take the 3 tests. You do realize that with the A&P license you can work on wind turbines, power plants, commercial aircraft, general aviation aircraft, and more. You want factory work then go work in a factory and make aircraft or go work at a repair station and fix parts of the aircraft (with out having to put up with the owner). You want to see the country then get with an airline and travel while doing maintenance on their birds, or go work on the wind farms where you're living out of a suitcase for 6 months at a time.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
OK, I gotta chime in here.....I did 4 years in college & graduated with a BS in Business Admin. Graduated with honors, had a blast, consumed ridiculous amounts of alcohol, had numerous women, blah blah blah. I don't use a damn thing I learned in college other than the ability to tolerate crap. But, I have the degree & nobody can take it away from me. Stick it out & then go drive trucks. In this economy, you absolutely NEED a backup plan. That stupid piece of paper IS your backup plan.

As you can see, I'm in the trucking business & have been for about 14 yrs. It is a HARD way to make a living. I'm fortunate that I've been successful but I've busted my ass every step of the way. I've had years where I made crazy money & more recently, years where I wondered if I'd be around when the sun came up the next day. I would strongly advise you to stay far away from the trucking industry right now. Too many things changing at once. Now, I'm in a bit of a niche market hauling cars & it pays more per mile than most freight out there but the operating & equipment costs are higher than everything else too. I'm an owner/operator now (again) because I don't do well taking orders blindly either, but the only way to last in trucking is to work your way OUT of the drivers seat. As it was said earlier, you WILL burn out & your body will break down on you no matter how tough or healthy you are. I will be 39 next week. I was a high school & college athlete, weightlifter, moutainbiker, healthy eater, firefighter/EMT & pretty good when it came time to jack someone's jaw..... about 10 years ago. Life on the road will beat the **** out of you & change your lifestyle habits. I've got shoulder & knee problems that stem from a bad motorcycle accident when I was younger, coming back to haunt me because the lifestyle is ******* you all the way around. Both hands hurt from old fight injuries & sometimes if I bang my hand on something, it brings tears to my eyes. It's a rough life. Try to find somewhere to park an 80ft. truck & 3AM to get something healthy to eat instead of McDonald's in the truck-stop (because that's all that's open @ 3AM). Doesn't happen. And, the crazy thing is, I get home alot!! I'm not on the road for weeks at a time. I'm not trying to scare you away from this line of work but what I'm telling you is the god's honest truth about what goes on out here. I love what I do fortunately, even when it sucks. But, as was also mentioned before, I'm locked into it for good. I couldn't get a job making the kind of money my family has become accustomed to anywhere if I left this. I've been on my own for too long with no verifiable work history. My point in telling you all this is you need to be DAMN sure this is where you want to go if you go. It seems to be a one-way road.

Now, to answer your question about dually's & carhauling, yes, you can make money doing it. The trick is to register the truck & wedge trailer for tags & fuel taxes just like you would register a tractor trailer. Run a log book everyday. Apply for an ICC & DOT #. Carry slightly more insurance than is required for your equipment. These few things will keep you out of trouble in the scale houses & open MANY more doors with potential clients because it shows a level of commitment to doing things right & that you aren't a flybynite operation. Carmax is an excellent source for work to get started as well as www.centraldispatch.com If your going to do this, buy the biggest medium duty truck & the newest trailer you can afford. Do not buy junk, the scales & DOT will destroy you. Those 2 agencies are most of the reason guys that tell you you can't make money with a wedge. They half assed it & got crushed for doing it wrong.

I hope all this helps you decide which way to go. I make a very good living but it has been tough the last 2 yrs. You need to be creative & self motivated all the time but especially when times get tough to survive in trucking. Get a degree first, it's your safety net.

Travis91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you on the AP thing.. i have my basics done and im really not interested in going back. I dont wanna wake up every morning and dread going to work knowing ill just be a number to some huge corporation and the only way to make money at it here is working for a large corp working on gov aircraft. I wish there was something i could do that involved me working with my hands.. that made decent money.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look into just driving motor homes. All you need is a dependable small car with good gas milage for the trip back. You can crap out in the MH for a nap or longer, which is OK in warm weather, but a ***** in winter, what with nasty roads. Now you have to have a passport into Canada or Mexico. Right now the RV business is slow. Lot's of drivers and haulers, looks like it's gonna be that way for awhile. Just made a RT 3500 mile trip with a Hot-Shot to Wyoming, seen lot's of RV sales lot's really full, still advertizing 2009 RV's for sale. Look hard and long if your thinking of RV hauling now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle