48re intentional design flaw

BigSix

Reaction score
I'll be convinced there's a problem when we start seeing reports of failures. I can't believe that DC would intentionally design something to fail. They're gaining in the diesel truck market and have too much to lose. Nothing would hurt the aftermarket transmission shops more than a reliable OEM transmission. I'll take a wait and see on this one.

MUDDY

Reaction score
well steve,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this is the part that carlton bale cummins engineer had posted about as giving fits with the ebrake and why dc wont warrantee a 48re w/ ebrke. problem is there are cases where trucks with as few as 20,000 miles have shown wear at the thrust wshr. they didnt fail yet but were on the way to failure.

honestly,,,,,,i wldnt be too suprised if some dc engineer did this clusterf--k on purpose although it is a brainfart for dc to let happen. bad advertisment for em for sure. im betting the change in the feb built 48re's will address this thrst wshr. as far as a recall on early 48s,,,,,,,,,,,doubting it they will have the guts to stand behind their mistake

as to a reliable trany hurtin the aftrmrket trans shops,,,,,,,,yep. but even w/o the trstwshr prob the 48 needs to be improved. far as that goes same for the alison. weak also when pwr is added or used for constant heavy loads. they all have room for improvment and wont hold over 400 rwhp

BigSix

Reaction score
I guess that's why I haven't had any trouble with any of my Mopar trannies. I run stock power and tow withing the tow ratings. "Or at least no more than 900 lbs over":D
I also don't need an exhaust brake. The Blue Ridge hills of NC are the highest my truck and 5th wheel will be seeing.
If the thrust washer was designed to fail, and it fails in high numbers with trucks running stock power and equipment within the ratings, then I'm wrong and Toyota and Nissan will be that much closer to taking over the big three.:(
But I still have my doubts...

MUDDY

Reaction score
we will find out soon enuff as the mile acumulte on the 48. of course the DRIVER is a big factor if a trans is gwine fail or last. some common sense and a caring attitude makes a big diff to an auto trans. there is several driving habits one can have to make it last

same with a clutch on a manual. my last rig at 438hp/887tq w/ a nv5600 and stock clutch showed NO sign of slippage. crse i didnt have as much fun with it as i wanted till i went sbc

and steve, the *** trucks are going downhill in quality and beef. taint what they was 10-20 yrs ago :(

BigSix

Reaction score
I never did think the *** trucks were worth a *** shot at halftime. I bought an '84 Isuzu diesel in '84 because it was cheap as dirt. I put over 200k on it and thought it was pretty good until my co-worker showed me his Pinto wagon with over 250k on it. Both vehicles were about shot but the Pinto still had much more pep.
As for the trannies, my 47 is my third since '95. If I start having tranny troubles, I'll take the $5k that a DTT tranny and TC would cost installed and use it as a down payment on a 600/6spd. To me that's a no brainer. But I don't mind rowing. My '98 5spd didn't give me any grief either sept for the master cylinder giving up at 83k. $246 was steep for the kit but easy to replace and alot cheaper than $5k. Hell, I might trade up to a 600/6spd even without having a valid reason.;burnout