ZF5

Believer45

Reaction score
From my 95 factory manual --

For vehicles equipped with the 7.3L Diesel Engine, this transmission requires use of synthetic MERCON® (Ford part number E6AZ-19582-B, or equivalent meeting Ford specification ESR-M2C163A2) Multi-Purpose Automatic Transmission Fluid or equivalent.

No special note made for gas engines - I believe it has to do with the much higher torque rating of the diesel.

Dave / Believer45

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
I changed over to Amsoil synth MercV and noticed smoother cold shifts, and less rollover noise from the single mass f/w.

I just filled mine with the drivers side jacked up and filled till it came out the threads.

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
Take a hole saw drill a hole into the transmission hump so you have access then its easy to top up the transmission LOL

What I do is use one of those caps you find on a 80-90 weight squeeze bottle and screw it on a 1 litre bottle. I also have a short length say 10"s of fuel hose over the nozzle so I can shove it into the fill hole. You will need atleast couple litres because you will never get it all out of the bottle.

Make sure the rubber hose stays on the nipple because you start squeezing then it decides to pop off and theres ATF everwhere :Sly

jvencius

Reaction score
Pacific said:
Make sure the rubber hose stays on the nipple because you start squeezing then it decides to pop off and theres ATF everwhere :Sly

That happened to me and b/c of that, I can verify that ATF tastes terrible and I would definitely not recommend it as a beverage. :eek:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7