ZF5 in an E350?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I've always wanted a 4x4 camper ambulance, something I'd have to build, has anyone here put a ZF5 in one? I'm wondering how hard it will be to add the front drive axle too...

Diesel_brad

Dunce
Reaction score
I think the person sitting behind the driver would have a easier time shifting than the driver

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Back seat shifter? I was thinking the same thing! I'm wondering about a twisted shifter

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The transmission doesn't sit that far back on the Ford vans. I had a 1978 E150 gasser van that had a 4spd manual transmission in it. It's not like the old dodge vans.:rotflmao

I've currently got a 96 E250 with a 5.8L gasser with an E4OD. As soon as the E4OD craps out I'm swapping in a ZF 5spd or a NP435. The hardest part with the newer body style is going to be the pedals. I don't know for sure but I don't think they ever offered a manual transmission in the 92+ vans. If they did I've never seen one and I've been around a lot of vans.

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
The transmission doesn't sit that far back on the Ford vans. I had a 1978 E150 gasser van that had a 4spd manual transmission in it. It's not like the old dodge vans.:rotflmao

I've currently got a 96 E250 with a 5.8L gasser with an E4OD. As soon as the E4OD craps out I'm swapping in a ZF 5spd or a NP435. The hardest part with the newer body style is going to be the pedals. I don't know for sure but I don't think they ever offered a manual transmission in the 92+ vans. If they did I've never seen one and I've been around a lot of vans.

I hear ya about the standard Dodge vans. I drove a 1977 Dodge Tradesman van with no power steering, no power brakes, and 4 speed on the floor!

Was pretty interesting parking that thing! LOL

I love the big ole Wood steering wheel it had!

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
Good thing about the pre-91 Ford E-series is they all have a molded floor for standards.

But with a T-19 or ZF5, you'd have to bend the shifted towards to the front to shift.

Notice cut out square on the floor for standard shifter
You must be registered for see images attach

Fordman75

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The problem is that floor cutout is for the transmissions with the external shifter assembly and shift linkages. Where the shifter mounts on the side of the tailshaft housing on the transmission. The T-19/Zf 5 spd shifter would probably be right about where that floor crossmember is at the rear most opening in the floor( for the dog house ) . :rolleyes: Modifying the shifter is easy it's everything else that's a pain.

Last edited:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the biggest issue would be the pedals...of course, manual transmission pedal assemblies exist for the '75-'91 vans, but AFAIK they're as rare as hens' teeth. You'll probably have to fabricate something...wouldn't be the easiest thing, but not impossible either.

As others pointed out, you can bend the shift lever, or it might actually be more practical to custom-fabricate a shift lever. Another concern would be the crossmember...IIRC the van frame's slightly wider than the truck frame (certainly the axle perches are located in a different spot, which is why swapping a van axle onto a truck isn't a simple exercise.

In any event, I'd love to see it done...my dream of a hot-shot rig would be one of those Centurion E-series conversions you see floating around, with an OBS (i.e. '92-'07) cab and a ZF swapped in...

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
I'm leaning towards the newer style for a bit more comfort, but the older body does look more agressive, I've seen a couple in the central valley, but they come and go, it looks easy to convert, install a small toilet/shower room, reuse the origional cabnets, install small stove/oven, find a futon or build a table that converts to a bed.

I considered an old Uhaul truck so I could put a bed over the cab, but reality set in! Too tall, too long, and so much more work installing doors and outside cabnets.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
This just looks mean, although I've never been a fan of SRW front with DRW rear look

Attachments

• Ambulance 5.jpg
    Ambulance 5.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 22