ZF5 and PTO

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im not opposed so switching trannys i just thought if it was easy enough to go divorced i would do that to save a few $$$ from having to buy another trans also im not real big in a the 4wd stuff so i am just gathering some info

P.S. riot just saw in your sig you are looking for a winch i have a 16k that is chaindrive and i was always gonna put a hyd motor on and then mount the whole thing on a 3pt hitch to pull logs but i bought a dozer with a winch so i no longer need it

Like I said search out a divorced np 205 that's likely the easiest thing you can do IMHO seeing as you want to retain 2wd. This will give an added + of a LOW range for you as well to get those hard to move loads going. Nice side benefit if I do say so myself.

No one said you have to install a front axle that's just an option.

As for the winch...pics please! brand of winch etc that is if it's for sale or trade hint hint nudge nudge wink wink...ifn u want, I'll see about a divorced NP 205 I know about....but will wait for response on winch!

Again shipping that **** tcase...bit heavy but doable. Small pallet and frieght shipment

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh i plan on dropping in a D60 later on down the road but that is gonna be a chunk of change and the next time i am at the shop i will get a pic or a video for you. Dont get your hopes up because it is nothing fancy but it was gonna work for me. It may be heavier than 16k but i am not real sure

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
did I mention Ive got TWO front KP FORD Dana 60's along with those TWO PTO style married transfercases? LOL

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You looking for anything else besides a winch

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, to run a pto setup on a 2wd auto tranny, with the pto in the transfer case, you have to stop, put the tranny in neutral in case there is any driveline load on the transfer case, put the transfer case in neutral, then put the tranny back in what? Drive, 1,2,3? Do what you have to do with the pto. Then put the tranny back in neutral and wait for it to hopefully stop, put the transfer case back in gear, then put the tranny in drive and you are done? Wait a pain.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of would think that with the trans in N the pto should be enough load to stop things from turning

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is my thread lol
But I will still pm

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With a t-case PTO & auto trans I'd think you'd just want it in 1st - any other gear and you're going to wind up with the trans shifting gears on you depending on the PTO load which might make things hard to use. I'd also think that locking the tc would be ideal, but probably it's necessary if you run the engine at a high idle. Depends I'm sure on how big of a pump you're using too.

For a ZF5, be aware that the different gear ratios and S42/S47 take different PTOs.... I have a S42 diesel PTO with attached big old gear pump (~25 gpm IIRC?) that I might part with, though shipping would be killer to pretty much anywhere. When I was looking at putting it on my S47 the gear would mate, but the pto would have needed about a 3/16" spacer. So I'd say an S42 pto on a S47 is possible, but going the other way around wouldn't be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle