ZF swap help. trans floor pan

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
hello all and thanks again for looking. i just bought a 87 f150 300ci t19 truck for parts...

will this style trans pan fit the zf5? from my searching the t19 usually has a rear shift t-case.
if so this would be great! id have almost everything for the swap. found a zf5 locally

You must be registered for see images attach

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Havin done this swap....NOPE...

Not directly....would require quite a bit of mods...

ZF is taller and shifter comes out back further on tunnel...requires a different cover all together....

Al

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Havin done this swap....NOPE...

Not directly....would require quite a bit of mods...

ZF is taller and shifter comes out back further on tunnel...requires a different cover all together....

Al
Al is absolutely correct regarding the floor pan inserts on '83-'86 trucks...however, that's an '87 truck, and it looks like that's a ZF5 floor pan insert even though there's a T-19 installed in that truck.

Here are a few pics showing the ZF5 insert and comparing the ZF5 insert to the '83-'86 T-19 insert...note that, since I have a 1345 transfer case, I cut a hole in the ZF insert for the transfer case shift lever.

Comparing the two inserts side-by-side...at least on mine, the gearshift hole's close enough that I could have put the ZF insert over my old T-19 and not had any trouble.

This pic shows the T-19 insert sitting on a ZF5; note how it's hitting the back of the transmission and still has about 3/4 of an inch before making contact with the floor pan itself...

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
great! i actually looked at those pics.. made me think i have a zf5 tunnel. ill pull it and take some pics/measurements. thanks!

Al is absolutely correct regarding the floor pan inserts on '83-'86 trucks...however, that's an '87 truck, and it looks like that's a ZF5 floor pan insert even though there's a T-19 installed in that truck.

Here are a few pics showing the ZF5 insert and comparing the ZF5 insert to the '83-'86 T-19 insert...note that, since I have a 1345 transfer case, I cut a hole in the ZF insert for the transfer case shift lever.

Comparing the two inserts side-by-side...at least on mine, the gearshift hole's close enough that I could have put the ZF insert over my old T-19 and not had any trouble.

This pic shows the T-19 insert sitting on a ZF5; note how it's hitting the back of the transmission and still has about 3/4 of an inch before making contact with the floor pan itself...

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pull the mat off the tunnel and see if it is a tall ZF5 compatable tunnel or the low profile tunnel that won't work.

Just looking at your picture, it appears to me you have the tall version that certainly can be used with the ZF5.

Heath

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Normally there is trouble swapping...but based on your and wardens pics...ya go for it

You will need a different slave cyl though IIRC...fyi!

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You will need a different slave cyl though IIRC...fyi!
FWIW I didn't have to replace my clutch slave cylinder when I did my swap; for that matter, I didn't even have to open up the clutch hydraulic system.. Granted, I used an S5-42...I think you would have to replace the slave cylinder if you swap to an S5-47.

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score

itsacrazyasian

residentcrazyasian
Reaction score
That pan that is installed on the truck in the first picture will work. I have one in my truck when i converted it to the zf5.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online