ZF speedo drive gear question

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I've been having a problem recently with the speedometer reading erratically and cruise dropping off. I removed the speedometer drive out of the trans and found the drive gear was stripped. Checked inside the trans and found that drive gear was also stripped. Here's the question. Can the back of the trans be removed WITHOUT taking it out of the truck? I've done a few "back box's" on 10 speeds, but I don't want to remove the rear cover and the guts fall out.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I'm not the one that has experiance in this but my guess is no.. You can't remove the back of the ZF to do much of anything internally. Others with more hands on will chime in..

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure you can remove it, it's putting everything back together that's the challenging part. :rotflmao

Not a ZF expert my any means, but from what I've seen I don't think it would work well. I think it *could* be done, but I'd be worried about it not going back together quite right and causing problems down the road. I know these things are pretty intricate tricky boxes - German engineering. :lol

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Read the rebuild thread in the tech sections. Changing the tail housing is probably going to mean re-shimming things to get the end play right. I'd definitely read that thread before I took anything apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the rebuild thread in the tech sections. Changing the tail housing is probably going to mean re-shimming things to get the end play right. I'd definitely read that thread before I took anything apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

my gear drive is also stripped. Living without a speedo is much better than having to deal with takign the trans apart lol.

dieselgiant

Dieselgiant
Reaction score
I don't disagree, but my cruise control:cry: Any one know if the cruise module would read the RABS sensor for speed? I may build a jumper harness from the abs speed output to cruise speed input.

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 92+ cruise will. You need a 92+ speedo though, or at least the electronics off the back. I don't think the earlier version will though you could always try it and see.