ZF issues

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So , the only part of the truck I have not rebuilt is talking to me. It has had am intermittent squeal on decel and now it is doing it much more,.
Any insight on what im going to find when I open it up, I have never done one of these, wont be able to say that much longer;Sweet
Thanks
Russ

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bearing race slipping in housing or bearing shim I dunno??? Maybe a seized bearing and it's letting go normal like now n then...kinda crap shoot guessing game I suppose.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I have not done a ZF either Russ but feel its a bearing too. Seems your telling us it happens when on decel so thats loading the back side of the gears and bearings. Any thoughts to a u joint going..
PM sent..:sly

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I have much experience with the ujoints. It is definately trans, put tcase in 4 hi and nothing changed. I thought a few weeks ago it was the turbo wheel rubbing but it is still nice and tight.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
SAd news Russ. Well at least you can lay down on part of the job..:D:sly I believe Calvin has inside knowledge on these. Something about balls under pressure and they spring out running to the nether lands on the shop floors. Then something about hose clamps to install the mess. Thats about what I know.:dunno:angel:

williampryor79

Reaction score
It could be the TOB Russ, but this sounds like it is a bearing on the input shaft. I have put 2 ZF trans in my truck since I got it, you really will not know what you have to deal with till you open the case up. When you open the case up you will have to do some modifications to it to get the case back on. When you get to that point pm me and I will tell you what you will have to do to get it back on with out any trouble. Good luck with your project. As I have one of my own...

Wicked97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That could be any number of things. Time to open a beer and a transmission and empty em both.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of doing my first ZF5. You know about the article in the tech section, right? So for I have it apart but I havent gotten to tearing the main shaft apart, I just got the puller collets to do so. It doesn't look like its going to be that hard to do. Got a kit with the 5 tapered roller bearings and synchro's from ebay for $250.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definately a tob issue, but im going to park it as soon as I put an ign switch in the dually so I can drive it, got 2 tanks of gas to burn before the diesel swap.
I have 2 more trans's to choose from so, a 400k one I bought for 50 bucks, he said bad 2nd and reverse, typical, other has a cracked bell but I dont know history except 160k miles, dropped a valve.
So ill have to tear into it and make an assessment. And maybe change the turbo at the same time:angel:

I buy all my trans and tcase stuff from a company called alltrans, been with them for 20 years, and just found out they have clutches too, luk and valeo.;Sweet

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is definately a tob issue, but im going to park it as soon as I put an ign switch in the dually so I can drive it, got 2 tanks of gas to burn before the diesel swap.
I have 2 more trans's to choose from so, a 400k one I bought for 50 bucks, he said bad 2nd and reverse, typical, other has a cracked bell but I dont know history except 160k miles, dropped a valve.
So ill have to tear into it and make an assessment. And maybe change the turbo at the same time:angel:

I buy all my trans and tcase stuff from a company called alltrans, been with them for 20 years, and just found out they have clutches too, luk and valeo.;Sweet
save me the cracked case. I can get Brian to weld it back up.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually the giant TIG welder is going to come into play and Iwill likely use that one. I have repaired many cases for tug trannys, this one will be cake, bolt it to an adapter, preheat and weld. May also add a strap over to reinforce it, Ill post a pic of the crack when I get started.Its looooong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad to hear your preheating before tig welding aluminum Russ. I learned a neet trick about aluminum preheating. Use an oxy acetylene torch to heat it up. Make the flame produce soot and apply the heat. the aluminum will soot up. When the soot begins to clear off the hot aluminium its ready to weld. Try this on scrap before you try this on something you want to keep. Its a nice way to know its hot enough to weld because aluminum is so difficult to see getting hot.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Been using that method for years. And now that I have a laser thermometer its even easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7