zf... 7.3 & 460 gas?????

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
I have been looking for a zf5 in my area for a couple weeks now. I have come across a few for a 460. I have a '96, 7.3psd. So my question being is, can you use a 460 zf behind a diesel?? I would just like to hear it from a few well rounded diesel guys before I just take a chance a buy one. So 95 stroker, Agnem, Cheaper Jeeper, Jred, any of you guys who seem to really know these diesels, do you know if it's true that you can bolt a 460 tranny to a 7.3 psd?

I really apriciate all the help!!

sle2115

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Reaction score
I'm not any of those guys, but no, you can't. Maybe with an adapter plate, I mean, it's possible to bolt a cummins to a ford tranny, but I'm sure you would prefer to avoid that costly item.

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bellhousing bolt patterns are different, it's not a "bolt in" swap. There are a few that have done it and made the square peg fit into the round hole.

Also if you need one for 2wd or 4wd get the right one. You can't simply swap tailshaft housins on a ZF5. There are also differences between the transmissions most notably in the tailshaft housings on the 2wd models from different years too... learned that the hard way.

Get the right tranny the first time, you'll be glad you did. Try www.car-part.com It's a salvage yard parts locator, bet there's one closer to you than you think.

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Bellhousing bolt patterns are different, it's not a "bolt in" swap. There are a few that have done it and made the square peg fit into the round hole.

Also if you need one for 2wd or 4wd get the right one. You can't simply swap tailshaft housins on a ZF5. There are also differences between the transmissions most notably in the tailshaft housings on the 2wd models from different years too... learned that the hard way.

Get the right tranny the first time, you'll be glad you did. Try www.car-part.com It's a salvage yard parts locator, bet there's one closer to you than you think.

Thank you. I didn't think they were the same. And thanks for the cool site, i've never seen that one! But it still dosn't look as there is one that is in the PA area, for the same or less than any of the ones on ebay. But then there was two on it, that I'll have to try to call tomorrow!!

sle2115, I was just throwing some names out there that came to mind. I didn't meen to sort anyone out!!

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I have been looking for a zf5 in my area for a couple weeks now. I have come across a few for a 460. I have a '96, 7.3psd. So my question being is, can you use a 460 zf behind a diesel?? I would just like to hear it from a few well rounded diesel guys before I just take a chance a buy one. So 95 stroker, Agnem, Cheaper Jeeper, Jred, any of you guys who seem to really know these diesels, do you know if it's true that you can bolt a 460 tranny to a 7.3 psd?

I really apriciate all the help!!

So is the bolt pattern on the 96 PSD the same as an 88 7.3 IDI? and do you need the 2wd or 4wd? I could meet you in York the end of next month if its a 2wd? and the price is right?

tonkadoctor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the bolt pattern on the 96 PSD the same as an 88 7.3 IDI? and do you need the 2wd or 4wd? I could meet you in York the end of next month if its a 2wd? and the price is right?

This is where you need to check the tailshaft housings on 2wd.

Early ZF5 have the provision for a speedo cable and the tailshaft housing is physically longer, later ZF5 have no provision for the speedo cable because the speed is read off the sensor in the rear axle on newer trucks and the housing is shorter.

Early ZF S5 42 - rated 420 ft lbs tq
Later ZF S5 47 - rated 470 ft lbs tq

May be other differences I don't know about.

fastbarry

Reaction score
the bolt pattern is the same between the 460 and powerstroke. the difference between the two is the location of the dowl pins. if you were so inclined and able to do so acuratley, you could redrill the bellhousing for the correct dowl pins. Then, they would interchange.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
h20drx this is the guy i was talking about when asking for the ZF-5

Aaron, Type4 has the modification drawing if i remember right to redrill the holes.

waynebo

Reaction score
buy the one for the 460 and use it for part to fix yours,,the internals are the same,,be the cheapest way to fix yours,,wayne;Sweet

camo85

smoke em out
Reaction score
Thanks to all for the replys! JRED the new trans is in and works like new! I will get the motor out and down to you hopefully by this weekend.

So for all, I've found a zf out of a 93 IDI turbo. If anyone needs the T case from this 93 it's for sale. All the rest of the truck is already acounted for!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
my preciouse turbo......hehehehe........

great, so glad it works good! sure was a job getting it out!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7