Zf 5 tranny ques

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of getting a zf 5 tranny with everything to do the swap. The truck that it is going in had a e4od with a 7.3. Will a single mass flywheel from a 6.9 work with the clutch components from an dual mass flywheel? Also will the single mass flywheel bolt up to my 7.3 idi? Thanks.

Last edited:

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"cheapers jeeper" is the only one i know of who grafted a t19 flywheel onto a ZF5 setup. you might want to pm him on what he did.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The lucky mod flywheel aricle in our tech articles shows you the 7.3 DMF in great detail. That is the flywheel that you really want to use, with the mod of course. Which means you can find lots of bad ones out there for next to nothing that you can modify and use.

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
Most (if not all) 6.9 flywheels are a 2 bolt on three pattern for the cover (only takes 6 bolts) where the DMF is a 2 bolt on four pattern (takes 8 bolts) so I don't believe you'd be able to use the clutch and disc from the DMF on the 6.9 flywheel. Unless you have a different flywheel. This is what I have found out recently, as I'm attempting to use the original 6.9 flywheel with the ZF. I did find a clutch with a sprung center hub that's got the 1.25 inch center hole.

Hope that helps some.

Chris

BigDiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the 6.9 solid flywheel, and pressure plate. Will a powerstroke zf 5 clutch disk work or is it bigger then the 6.9 or 7.3 idi clutch disk?

fastass350

SStock8569
Reaction score
I think those are 11", but most likely it won't have a sprung center hub which you'll want. If it does then you should be golden. Watch the splined hub as some can hit on them flywheels.

Chris