zf 5 speed noisy in 1st and reverse

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi, Just had my zf 5 speed rebuilt and it's noisy in 1st and reverse. The guy who rebuilt it said it's normal (gearlash). In the morning it's much quiter (thicker oil maybe? ):dunno

Does this sound right? anyone?

Thanks

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
With a solid one piece flywheel it will be noisy. Thats what I have. If you have a DMF then a guy with one of those will have to chime in.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jake!

I do in fact, have a solid one piece flywheel ... a luk conversion kit (new flywheel, clutch and PP).

thanks Joe

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
There are ways to "fix" the noise. I used syn 20-50 mobil 1 and filled one and a half quart extra. The only side effects I have noticed are that I have a not so good 3-4 synchro. I can shift normal, but not fast. And when coming to a stop it seems stubborn to go into 2nd or 1st. If I stop all the way, no problems. Even the cold up here isn't a factor.

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are ways to "fix" the noise. I used syn 20-50 mobil 1 and filled one and a half quart extra. The only side effects I have noticed are that I have a not so good 3-4 synchro. I can shift normal, but not fast. And when coming to a stop it seems stubborn to go into 2nd or 1st. If I stop all the way, no problems. Even the cold up here isn't a factor.

Yep, it takes a transmission that used to shift beautifully, and makes it a stubborn cranky thing you have to deal with each cold morning, and it's still noisy. I guess if Ford could have fixed it with oil they would have. Instead to fix the problem they came up with a flywheel that costs a $1000 to replace. I just drove a f350 the other day with a original DMF, and boy it sure is quiet and shifts nice.

Can you tell I am a little disgusted with the SMF conversion? I guess I am going to have to get over it and keep telling myself I could have a spring through the engine block instead.

emmer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine shifts perfectly with the conversion, it's just noisy in 1st and reverse. I put a 1 inch thick piece of rubber between the tranny and the floor and it helped some, still, I'm not to happy with the conversion.

I was told though that the dmf can shake a tranny apart , and I didn;t want that, that's why I decided on the luk.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online