Yesterday: B20... Today: DieselHPR ??

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Yup, drove by the station where I used to get B20 (when my van ran... a while ago), and today they're promoting a new product they now sell instead: DieselHPR. :confused:

Since van won't be running until I get a Baby Moose from Mel :D , I have no interest in this, but anyone else heard of this animal-based diesel-like product???

BTW: http://www.dieselhpr.com/

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I saw your text you sent me earlier today. Just got around to looking into it. I am not too sure about this product nor have I heard any previous information about it. I can tell you one thing, dieselHPR doesn't really mention lubricity benefits like B20 makers do :dunno

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reminds me of a business idea I had - a chain of quick weight loss clinics, combined with fuel refinement. I was going to call the product "lipo-diesel"......

So now Blackstone is going to have to add cholesterol level to its UOA options? :dunno:

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just called their number because I'm also curious about the lubricity of their fuel. They apparently close at five. They told me if it was a life threatening emergency to call 911... I'll have to remember that one :rotflmao

On a side note, I curious if their higher power fuel will mean my IDI will be pushing 1000hp? I'll have to ask them that too...:D

bbjordan

Snow Monkey
Reaction score
Marketing

Sounds like a lot of hype to me. They say on their website "Diesel HPR does not contain biodiesel.", but yet they say "Diesel HPR comes from recycled tallow and oils, a byproduct of chicken, beef and fish production." Hmmm, maybe they should look up tallow on Wikipedia. Specifically the Production of biodiesel section

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tallow#Production_of_biodiesel

Looks surprisingly like uhm...biodiesel. It may be made from animals not plants, but it's still from life (bio).

If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck...

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New, exciting, renamed biodiesel with a flashy logo! Alright, let's drive up prices on animal products! That worked well for E85, right?

I bet the CARB was their valentine.

Bleh

Last edited:

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New, exciting, renamed biodiesel with a flashy logo! Alright, let's drive up prices on animal products! That worked well for E85, right?

I bet the CARB was their valentine.

You must be registered for see images attach

Still my fav. Govt. entity

Hans13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with an employee and here's what I found.

Q: How is DieselHPR not contain biodiesel when it is biodiesel itself?
A: (Long winded answer about how it is made from animal fats...)

Q: How is this fuel lubricity-wise?
A: DieselHPR has an added lubricant that performs about the same as B20.

Q: How much of a power increase are we realistically talking?
A: You will be able to tell a difference of torque at the rear wheels.;Really The cetane level of the Diesel HPR is 72. B20 was at 53 and low sulfur was somewhere around 40.

That is all I got. I wish I could put what I heard into more detail but I have significant memory loss ;Sweet

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Um, why not just let the market drive what happens to this stuff? Maybe if those cetane numbers are right, it's worth it. It'll just have to prove itself, like any other product; people will have to find out if it provides sufficiently more power, and/or more MPGs, to warrant the price difference.

They should probably re-state that biodiesel statement to say that it does not contain PLANT-based biodiesel.

And as for resources, it sounds like it's using by-products of the various industries, unlike, say, ethanol which is usually derived from kernel corn itself which could be used for food/feed. So let's hope it doesn't screw with prices of the "parent" products.

Website is, er, light on information to say the least. What about stability wrt. temperature? Interesting that all their stations are in California; will this stuff even flow up here in Tundraland?

Clb

Another old truck
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm, no plant matter. Maybe this is PETA-POWERED. Made from PETA activists?:rotflmao

Now thats worth a buck a gallon!boy what an impressive website':rotflmao
Closest one is an hour away from me.

Last edited:

idi_econoline

No Bed For Me!
Reaction score
Well, Brian, B20 was $2.89.9 . After some issues with the signage, apparently DieselHPR is $3.89.9! :eek:

And, the following day, the legally-required price signage was gone. They had hand-written DieselHPR where "Biodiesel B20" was before, now; it's all a mystery. :confused:

But, they do have a cool vertical banner sign saying DieselHPR. LOL