WVO blends - what needs modified?

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What sort of setups are you guys using to filter your WVO? I have a good hookup on some. I'm thinking if i can get wmo easier I will just use that, but I'm all for experimenting with alternative fuels right now.

If I ever get around to it, I plan on using a centrifuge. I like the design at simplecentrifuge.com and think that it's worth the extra few hundred dollars over some of the cheaper ones out there. It would be very easy to plumb in a 110V water heater element so that the oil and contaminents seperate better.

fields_mj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I aquired some fresh motor oil and trans fluid (it was old, wouldn't trust it in an engine) sp I poured it in the tank. The truck ran quieter and had noticeable more power!

-Jon

Jon - what about the smell? I've been thinking of going this route for a while now also due to availability, but I've been told by all the profesional internet gurus that they hate using wmo.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
Oh, its a bitter stink it puts out, definately not the normal diesel smell....but that's the guys behind me that have to put up with it!! LOL

-Jon

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yes you can tell when you are burning WMO, the exhaust stinks!

i have been mixing 50/50 wmo diesel for years in the warmer months with a stock system and have been running 100 WMO with a seperate heated system. i have a seperate tank in the bed with a power steering pump for a fuel pump, fuel relays and a plate heat exchanger under the hood.

6.9poweredscout

Bleeds IH red...
Reaction score
yes you can tell when you are burning WMO, the exhaust stinks!

i have been mixing 50/50 wmo diesel for years in the warmer months with a stock system and have been running 100 WMO with a seperate heated system. i have a seperate tank in the bed with a power steering pump for a fuel pump, fuel relays and a plate heat exchanger under the hood.

Wait wait wait....a power steering pump as a fuel pump?;Really

-Jon

subway

Reaction score
Wait wait wait....a power steering pump as a fuel pump?;Really

-Jon

yup, put a bypass regulator on it to release the extra pressure back through the return lines. it took the longest belt i could find to make it work to, still working out the bugs but i think i know what to do. its finding the time to do it between 3 young kids, both parents working full time night classes and resurve duty weekends.

i havent had a chance to mess with it now for a year or so.

i could have swore i posted pics here but this thread explains the system
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31550

subway

Reaction score
the main problem i had was pulling the reletively thick WMO trough the lines. unless it was summer out i had a hard time pulling WMO in much below 70-80 weather. after pondering it i woke up one night, its simple instead of running 3/8 lines to the pump it should be like a 1-1.5 line like a hydraulic system to feed it.

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jred,
Would the fitting into the pump resctrict too much? Or maybe not enough to hurt any flow.:dunno

sassyrel

Reaction score
That's what I've heard. Thus the golden rod. I've already bought one from TSC. It has a 10 micron filter on it and it was $30. I need to get it installed this fall so that I can stop replacing my factory filter every 6 months. It will more than pay for itself in the first year.

NOT near small enough--your truck filter is 5 microns--

subway

Reaction score
Jred,
Would the fitting into the pump resctrict too much? Or maybe not enough to hurt any flow.:dunno

it was pulling the oil from the fuel tank in the bed to the pump on the front of the engine that was the problem. pumps dont pull a vacume very well at all in general.

once it got to the pump it was fine after that since it went through the plate exchanger. right after the pump the fuel gets warmed up and passes through its own filter to the relay then into the injection pump.

once it gets through the plate exchanger its hot and viscuse enough that it flows easily. this is a system you flip on after the vehicle warms up some, preheating a strong mixture is key to getting it to burn in the combustion chamber.

again this system is set up to burn strong mixes to 100 pure WMO or WVO. if you just want to save money by adding some WMO or WVO to your fuel you dont need to go to all this trouble.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I am no techie by any means but recently did an experiment with my truck and a vw jetta with blending and it went baaad!

Because of what I read on the internet I mixed 20% gas and 80% clean centrifuged oil. This is oil that I purchased from somebody and I think it is quality stuff. It got to as cold as 15 a few weeks ago and I left a jug of this stuff outside and would check it time to time. Even before mixing, this oil does not seperate or become solid at these temps.

Well I tried this mix in warmer temps like 40's and would compare it in a bottle to diesel outside in a jar. It was not as thin as diesel but better than a motor oil. It did not seperate on its own either.

The truck has 2 tanks, the jetta one. The initial tests had the vehicles running what I would call normal after switching to the blend after the cars warmed up and on freeway runs which is the majority milewise of the commute.

It only took a couple days, but I now believe that using the same filter setup for both sources of fuel, allowed the diesel to continue to wash some veggie downstream after a good purge time on straight diesel.

I did change out the filters, dumped starton in each tank and went back to diesel while tring to get rid of the wvo first. I caught it early in that each vehicle was angry after they sat after a couple days or running, when it came to starting them up and the injection pumps sticking, etc.

I did 2 soaks of atf for a couple days in each ip pump and new filters and now both vehicles appear to be back to normal.

So I won't be doing that again and planned to revisit the topic with the jetta soon when I fix some other stuff, and will redo the truck later when I take the bed off and redo all the hoses, etc.

As far as how both vehicles ran when on the highway, to me they seemed to react to the pedal well, there was a tad different sound I would say but nothing wierd popped out to me. My goal was to get the mileage on the freeway runs, and use the city driving with diesel.

You mixed it with gas? Or did you mean diesel? RSDSL can chime in and tell you what mercedes says is the max gasoline content they allow, I think its only 10%, and that only for cold cold weather.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle