Won't start

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went out to start my 93 yesterday and nothing. I replaced the starter, starter solenoid and batteries. When I turn the key I get a few clicks but it won't turn over. I replaced the ignition lock cylinder last year so that is good. What gives? Is there something I am missing?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dirty cables? a bad cable on the passenger side where the cables connect? thats where my problem was.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention that I replaced all the cables last fall.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put your headlights on, and see if they go out when you crank. Thats an easy way to test for a bad cable or battery connection.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
These trucks have a fender mounted solenoid that most if not all the electrical that powers the starter and engine goes thru. Find that and pull off the wire connection that a push on type connection. Then jump that to the terminal closest to it on the solenoid. If the engine cranks then you know there is an electrical issue someplace else. Many times the actual ignition switch thats found under the dash but bolted to the steering column has gone bad.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
On my first 1985 F250, the wire that icanfixall mentioned actually got a bad spot in it somewhere. I found where it came out from the column mounted ignition switch. I just cut the wire there, spliced in another wire, and ran it all the way to the starter solenoid on the fender. It worked fine until i wrecked the truck. It was easy to tell which wire it was by the switch, there was only one that was hot when the key was in the "start" position.

eastsideauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering column.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Glad you found the problem. Working under the dash is not my favorite area to work in.. Droppong the steering colume off the dash helps but I still have issues in those tight areas.