Won't start?

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started my 84 today it started up after some "Persuading" and ran really good for about a minute. Then all of the sudden it starts missing and killed itself. I want to say It starved itself for fuel I am kinda guessing it gelled up it was about 22F and its got kinda crappy fuel.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could very well be gelled up. Last winter my truck ran fine for about a mile, then died on me. Twice. I was not happy. Both times it was a fuel gelling issue. Add some red 911 Power Service to the tank(s) and get some good fuel in there and replace the fuel filter. If that is the issue it'll fix it for you.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright thank you for the advice it sucks replacing an almost brand new fuel filter lol!

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
When you replace the fuel filter simply save the filter with the gelled fuel in it. The fuel will warm up and that filter will be fine for use. When and how to warm up the gelled fuel is a good question. Just put it in a couple of ziploc bags so moisrue doesn't get in till the filter warms up.

gunz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you replace the fuel filter simply save the filter with the gelled fuel in it. The fuel will warm up and that filter will be fine for use. When and how to warm up the gelled fuel is a good question. Just put it in a couple of ziploc bags so moisrue doesn't get in till the filter warms up.

Exactly. Put it in a ziplock bag or something liek that and keep it handy. Once warmed up you can drain it and keep it for a spare.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The filter isnt plugged the fuel is still liquidy but when i run the starter no fuel gets pumped out so I wonder if the lines plugged up.

02x72

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fuel can still gell enough to clog the filter and be a liquid, you'll see a lot of small pieces of wax floating around if that is the case. If thats not the case though and you dont get any fuel out of the schrader valve while cranking, I'd take a good look at your lift pump, it may have gone out. It may sound dumb, but make sure you have enough fuel in the tanks as well. If the pickup has broken off, and I can all but guarantee it has, then you need over a 1/4 tank for it to be picked up by the metal tubes on the sending unit.

84-6.9IdI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was talking to the guy I bought the truck from. And when I talked to him about it he seems to think that when I pulled the plates off from under the rear tank and it came down 5 or 6 inches that it probably cracked one of the rubber lines that connect to the main steel lines. This probably caused it to start sucking air which would make sense because since i did that it never really ran right. I can believe this because they are original so I am going to get as much of the old fuel out of the front tank and put in new and see what happens then.