Won't Start With Key?

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
If it an electric pump it might be bad and you might try jumpin the pump if it is to see

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
You can check your starter relay by taking off the coil wire and using a short jumper from that small terminal to your positive terminal on your battery. Of course be cautious! I'm betting you aren't getting power to your relay coil.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know which circuit you might have, might help tracing it out.

Attachments

• 87 up Glow plug system.jpg
    87 up Glow plug system.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 84 - 86 Glow plug system.jpg
    84 - 86 Glow plug system.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 13

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Thanks Bill! I traced the red wire(ignition to starter relay on fender)
everything felt good don't know if a fusable link breaks apart or just the inside breaks?
I'm going to take the wire off the 86 the Po replaced the links so it should be good. I'll report back after work. Might stop by the parts house and get some links.

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Thanks Bill! I traced the red wire(ignition to starter relay on fender)
everything felt good don't know if a fusable link breaks apart or just the inside breaks?
I'm going to take the wire off the 86 the Po replaced the links so it should be good. I'll report back after work. Might stop by the parts house and get some links.

Fusible links burn up and kind of falls apart. Gets really brittle and the bare wire looks obviously burnt.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Talking with another member we came upon that itight be the Neutral safety switch so I'll pull the switch off the 86 and see if there's a change. not getting a whole lot done working long hours and it's dark by the time I get of work.

Any other suggestions?

lukewarmt

BCOilBurner
Reaction score
Waystro have you checked if you are getting power to the relay coil? Please save yourself, start at the relay and work back to the ignition. It could be the relay, it could be the wiring it could be something else. Get a volt meter, look at the diagram and work backwards!

Have you checked the starter and glow plug relay by putting power to the coil?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Waystro have you checked if you are getting power to the relay coil? Please save yourself, start at the relay and work back to the ignition. It could be the relay, it could be the wiring it could be something else. Get a volt meter, look at the diagram and work backwards!

Have you checked the starter and glow plug relay by putting power to the coil?

Jumper cables from starter relay battery cranks it but won't start up. Haven't tried GlowPlug relay yet as I'm just focusing on getting it to crank with key. One at a time.
A video might help I'll work on getting one up.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Ok with my test lightning getting power everywhere but these 2 connections(test light pointing) all test was with the ignition on. Getting power to the right side of relay. So is my relay bad?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    634.8 KB · Views: 40

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be. But one side of that should only have power while the ignition is in start position.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to locate feed/trigger wire for solenoid have a friend turn key and with multi meter see if feed/trigger wire has any power if so sounds like solenoid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828